The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emails every 30 minutes

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by beddo, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beddo

beddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi,

I have a physical licensed WHM server and am currently in the process of migrating to a virtual server. The new virtual server emails me every 30 minutes (sometimes I get two emails at once, other times just the one)

I get:

I do not want to turn off email notifications of root logins, however I normally get rid of ones I am happy with by adding the IP to the cphulk whitelist. Unfortunately, this one doesn't include an IP in the email so I am at a loss at to what is causing it.

Is it part of the monitoring scripts? I have a cPanel DNS only server with the NDCHost SMX plugin so could it be that? If the latter then why no IP in the email? I have whitelisted the IP of the DNS only server.

Any pointers as to what logfiles to check to find out what is causing this because I'm fed up of my phone beeping every 30 minutes and having to check it incase it is something I need to respond to!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You'll need to speak with your host, sounds like something they've got going on for added security.

3. beddo

beddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I am my host!
    I built the server myself and did a standard install of cpanel. The emails come from cpanel@hostname.tld and are the exact same ones that come when I log into the server from an unknown IP except those emails include an IP.

4. beddo

beddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It is definitely something to do with cphulkd

If I look at /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cphulkd.log it has some weird entries.

I have a number of number lines that look like this:

But there are a number of lines that look like this:
    They are missing any other information and the last modified time on the log file matches exactly when the last notification was sent.

I've tried adding 127.0.0.1 to the cphulkd whitelist so will see in about 16 minutes. Can anyone see any problems having 127.0.0.1 whitelisted?

5. beddo

beddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    That didn't do the trick. :confused:

6. beddo

beddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Well I've been waiting on my license supplier to look into the issue properly for 3 weeks now. I got fed up waiting and raised a cPanel ticket, within a few minutes of logging onto the server I was pointed in the direction of case 53729 which is fixed in 11.32 but outstanding in 11.30

Apparently it is a bug where the cron job on CentOS Linux release 6.0 (Final) runs these emails. The only workaround is to turn off notifications of root logins at the moment :/

I hope the fix gets put into 11.30 because I gather 11.32 could be a way off and 11.31 isn't particularly stable yet..

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

To clarify, 11.31 is the development build for 11.32. As we state in our documentation, development releases publish with odd-numbered major values. Therefore, the development release for 11.32 is published as version 11.31.

Also, this qualifies as a bug report, which are now exclusively handled via our internal bug reporting system. Feel free to open a case if you are experiencing this issue by using the following URL:

Submit A Bug Report

The more reports we get, the higher the priority this issue will receive for consideration of being back-merged into 11.30.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.