The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emails from Google / Hotmail being rejected, help please!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by MrPresident, Jul 22, 2010.

1. MrPresident

MrPresident Registered

At the end of last week I reinstalled one of our servers with WHM/cPanel and as far as I knew, it was setup correctly.

However, I have found that anyone trying to send me emails from a Google or Hotmail account are instantly receiving notification of mail rejected with the following error:

The domain is using the servers configured nameservers so should be working correctly and I've checked with a lookup site and the MX records point to the server IP correctly.

Just to point out that I can receive email from any other source, just not Google or Hotmail.

I've looked on these cpanel forums and Googled with no luck so any help in resolving this issue would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

I'd look at several things....

first, use a number of DNS checking sites to verify all is well there. When I'm looking, I usually check with at least a half-dozen to make sure all are seeing and reporting the same things.

What, if any, blacklists, sender verifications, etc. are in use?

3. dreas

dreas Active Member

Did you check your own mailserver logs? According to Google it was actively rejected by your mailserver. So there should be an entry.

4. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

Try using this command to check the email in exim's log for CentOS and RedHat systems:

Code:
    exigrep user@domain.com /var/log/exim_mainlog
    If your machine is FreeBSD, it would be this command:

Code:
    exigrep user@domain.com /var/log/exim/mainlog
    You would replace user@domain.com with the email address recipient, the one that was rejected.

Next, I'd suggest trying this command for that same email address:

Code:
    exim -bt user@domain.com
    This will show if the email address properly routes on your machine or not (it should route locally if that email address is on the machine and properly setup.

5. jeffmonte

jeffmonte Member

6. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

Gmail and hotmail accounts are sending to his machine and the accounts on his machine aren't receiving the emails (the emails are bouncing back to gmail and hotmail). He isn't getting bounces when sending to gmail and hotmail, so it isn't likely a blacklisting issue here for his IP, since it's gmail and hotmail unable to send to his server. It sounds more like a local delivery issue.