Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Emails from primary domain

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by cybertrax, Mar 19, 2007.

1. cybertrax

cybertrax Member

Hi,

Apologies if this is already answered elsewhere, have looked but couldnt see it.

I am in the middle of setting up a server with the help of the guy who is renting it to me (package is without management so appreciate his help). I think I have the main domain setup OK - www.traxhosts.com - but cannot send or receive emails from this domain even though they are setup on the CPanel. I 'think' the problem is that I have 4 IP addresses (93, 94, 95, 96), with 2 of them being used for the nameservers. One of these is used for the traxhosts.com domain, but I cannot change the mx to this ip address. Details pasted below:

Domain: traxhosts.com
    Primary DNS ns1.iprimus.com.au
    Secondary DNS ns2.iprimus.com.au
    SOA Expire: 604800
    Refresh: 10800
    Retry: 3600
    Serial: 70319115558
    TTL: 86400

Type Name Value Other
    A @.traxhosts.com 207.58.130.96 TTL 86400
    A @.traxhosts.com 207.58.130.93 TTL 86400
    A ftp.traxhosts.com 207.58.130.96 TTL 86400
    A www.traxhosts.com 207.58.130.96 TTL 86400
    MX @.traxhosts.com 207.58.130.95 Priority 1
    CNAME *.traxhosts.com 207.58.130.96 -

As you can see, I am not exactly knowledgable with advanced dns and am basically doing this by trial and error, with mixed results.
    Anyone have ideas?!

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you browse to:
    http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=traxhosts.com

You'll see that the DNS configuration for the nameservers isn't correct for the domain. The lines that give away the problem are:

ns1.traxhosts.com.traxhosts.com.
    ns2.traxhosts.com.traxhosts.com.

It looks like the NS records for the domain are missing a trailing dot (.) and you're getting concatenation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cybertrax

cybertrax Member

Many thanks.

I have checked and added the two periods (full-stops for the english!) and emails now go in AND out - just received the outstanding spam from the past few days, never thought I'd enjoy seeing spam download!! Hard to believe that a few periods out of place make all the difference - reminds me of programming PHP.

Thanks again.