Emails Getting Deleted and Mobile Mail Client Configuration

Fastfingaz

Registered
Sep 11, 2019
Lagos
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
I'm kind of in a fix now. I'm a Reseller Owner and my client has been complaining about 2 recent developments.

1) I helped set up her Gmail App on her mobile devices to act as mail client for her personalized emails and everything worked fine. We didn't route through Google. We set up new accounts on the Gmail app using the IMAP protocol. The incoming and outgoing configuration settings are correct but every time she tries to send out an email from her Gmail App, we get a "Oh no, something went wrong. Recent changes may not have been saved" error message. She still receives emails but sending out is a problem. This happened this week. Can anyone help?

2) Her emails keep getting deleted automatically. She claims to not be deleting them herself. She says she has lost lots of information from job seekers who applied for vacant positions in her organization. Can anyone help? This is so frustrating. I don't know where to look.

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Are you saying that this is not Cpanel related at all. ??

The Gmail app on a phone/tablet, has absolutely no intergration with your cpanel server ?

If that's the case, then I think it will be unlikely that anyone on here could help, other than offer personal experience.
What mobile devices Android, IOS etc.

Reactions: Fastfingaz

Henry Carter

Jul 31, 2019
India
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Reactions: Fastfingaz

Fastfingaz

Registered
Sep 11, 2019
Lagos
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Are you saying that this is not Cpanel related at all. ??

The Gmail app on a phone/tablet, has absolutely no intergration with your cpanel server ?

If that's the case, then I think it will be unlikely that anyone on here could help, other than offer personal experience.
What mobile devices Android, IOS etc.
Thanks for the reply. I brought it here because I was hoping someone here might have experienced this issue too.

On both Android and iOS devices.

Fastfingaz

Registered
Sep 11, 2019
Lagos
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Hi,

Please be aware that there is a disruption reported here: https://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en&v=issue&sid=1&iid=082ee9e7a232740761ef507d7ac31eb2, so Gmail/Google is aware of this issue. Please continue to follow it for updates. You may use the Gmail BASIC HTML version https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1p7bjmn9vg2de/?zy=e&f=1 as its working.

Reference: https://support.google.com/mail/thread/2321955?hl=en
Thank you very much. I'll look into the links.

Any idea on why emails could be self-deleting?

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm not familar with IOS as i've not used it for years,
On the Android Gmail app, in general settings is a checkbox to 'confirm before deleting'
If the user is swiping the email, she could be inadvertantly deleting them.
I guess this would prove that theory.

I guess also, if the mobile app is configured for POP3, then any emails received by this device would be removed from the Gmail Web Gui.
I don't see where this could be changed though

As for the 'Oh No' message I'd suggest that this may be port related, but I don't see anywhere on my device where I can change the ports either.

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hello,

My assumption is your client is using cPanel email and receiving it within Gmail which does have the ability to act as a mail client. What I am not sure of is how you set it up using IMAP since Gmail does POP3 only - you can see this in the screenshot here:

add_account_gmail.png

I do use this regularly for my own personal email and haven't experienced any outages.

If you've added the account by going to Gmail>>Settings>>Accounts and Import as I've done in this screenshot and the account was added with POP3 access then it would explain why emails might be removed off the server, but it wouldn't explain them being completely missing.

You do also need to add the account in the "Send Mail As" section within Gmail in order to send mail, when setting up the service to check email Gmail from the web application will request you do this as well at the same time. As far as the error message she receives when attempting to send it sounds like some misconfiguration on the Gmail side of things. What is set for the SMTP server settings? You can view this in Gmail's send mail as section by clicking "Edit info" then "Next Step".

For the email being deleted, I can't help but assume this is due to another mail client pulling the email through a POP3 connection or it's being pulled by this gmail connection and getting added to the inbox or spam without being seen.