The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

emails in 2 different places

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jameshsi, Oct 4, 2002.

1. jameshsi

jameshsi Well-Known Member

Hi!
    Is it just me or everybody are doing the same thing but not aware ?
    I just found there are 2 inbox for every pop3 account on all my server with WHM, one is the traditional path:/home/user/mail/james/inbox and the other is /home/user/mail/domain.com/inbox , it will takes double the spaces, right ? Don't your clients unhappy about this ?

Regards,

James

2. TRAIN YARD SOFTWARE

TRAIN YARD SOFTWARE Well-Known Member

Same here, confused

-Ed

3. mccmikey

mccmikey Member

Same here. Tho inbox.lock (file that jams mailboxes for SpamAssassin) only appears to show up in the mail/domain.blah/username boxes tho - so I don't understand why the other inboxes still exist.

4. Omar

Omar Well-Known Member

Same thing here, the inboxes seem to be the same size, but the files aren't symlinked, so I think they take up twice the space.

- Omar

5. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

hard links

IIRC correctly, there was a great big warning for cpanel 5 about hard links to files, so it comes to my mind that these could be hard links to the same files, NOT taking double the space, but having two directory pointers to the same space. Can someone from cpanel confirm this?

6. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    After reading this I did a check and found a ton files like this
    index.lk.989.1033236898 all zero bytes.

7. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:82406d3b62][i:82406d3b62]Originally posted by perlchild[/i:82406d3b62]

IIRC correctly, there was a great big warning for cpanel 5 about hard links to files, so it comes to my mind that these could be hard links to the same files, NOT taking double the space, but having two directory pointers to the same space. Can someone from cpanel confirm this?[/quote:82406d3b62]

Bingo :)

8. Omar

Omar Well-Known Member

Would someone please explain the difference between hard links and symlinks?

thanks

- Omar

9. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:1a9850b7c7][i:1a9850b7c7]Originally posted by Omar[/i:1a9850b7c7]

Would someone please explain the difference between hard links and symlinks?

thanks

- Omar[/quote:1a9850b7c7]
    A &[b:1a9850b7c7]hard link[/b:1a9850b7c7]& is another name for an existing file. The hard link and original shares the same inode. The &inode& contains information about the file's permissions, ownership, type, and location on disk if any.

The link operator (i.e ln command) makes additional names that have the same inode number, so that they are really the same file, but with two (or more) different names which are all equally valid. Only when you've removed the last name for an inode will the system consider removing the data. So the rm command, or the unlink operator, is removing a name, not an inode.

The [b:1a9850b7c7]symlink[/b:1a9850b7c7] (Symbolic Link) operator creates an inode with a name pointer. When you reference the inode, its contents are substituted for the name, and the name lookup continues.

Because inode numbers are within a particular device (i.e drive partition) , you can't have a &hard link& from one device to another. But you can &symlink& anywhere you want. You cannot make a &hard link& to a directory, but anyone can create a &symlink& to a directory

10. Omar

Omar Well-Known Member

Thank you itf for your excellent reply.....

for a minute I was considering posting to ask you to explain in english :p ....but on a second read, I managed to figure it out ;)

Thanks again

- Omar

11. jameshsi

OK, so it is using the same spaces, but how come if I delete some emails menuly on the command line and these two different spaces become not equal size ?
    Also, what is the file inbox.pop and inbox.lock use for ?

12. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:d445d306c3][i:d445d306c3]Originally posted by itf[/i:d445d306c3]

[b:d445d306c3]hard links vs Symlinks[/b:d445d306c3]

A &[b:d445d306c3]hard link[/b:d445d306c3]& is another name for an existing file. The hard link and original shares the same inode. The &inode& contains information about the file's permissions, ownership, type, and location on disk if any.

The link operator (i.e ln command) makes additional names that have the same inode number, so that they are really the same file, but with two (or more) different names which are all equally valid. Only when you've removed the last name for an inode will the system consider removing the data. So the rm command, or the unlink operator, is removing a name, not an inode.

The [b:d445d306c3]symlink[/b:d445d306c3] (Symbolic Link) operator creates an inode with a name pointer. When you reference the inode, its contents are substituted for the name, and the name lookup continues.

Because inode numbers are within a particular device (i.e drive partition) , you can't have a &hard link& from one device to another. But you can &symlink& anywhere you want. You cannot make a &hard link& to a directory, but anyone can create a &symlink& to a directory[/quote:d445d306c3]

[quote:d445d306c3][i:d445d306c3]Originalli posted by jameshsi [/i:d445d306c3]
    OK, so it is using the same spaces, but how come if I delete some emails menuly on the command line and these two different spaces become not equal size ?
    Also, what is the file inbox.pop and inbox.lock use for ?
    [/quote:d445d306c3]

jameshsi & OK, so it is using the same spaces, but how come if I delete some emails menuly on the command line and these two different spaces become not equal size ?

ITF A.
    It is impossible for hard links because hard link and the original name are the same, using a shared inode any modification to each one results in immediate modification of shared inode (or stored data)

[b:d445d306c3]Please read my description about hard link vs. symlink again in this post: click on the link to go to that post [/b:d445d306c3] http://forums.cpanel.net/read.php?TID=5064&page=1#22288

jameshsi & Also, what is the file inbox.pop and inbox.lock use for ?
    ITF A.
    These are lock files Cpanel keeps PID of cppop in inbox.lock file during a POP3 session, which will be removed after a successful session unless a cancelled or unsuccessful session that it remains but will be updated with new PID at the beginning of the next POP3 session

13. jameshsi

[quote:987a3549bd]
    ITF A.
    These are lock files Cpanel keeps PID of cppop in inbox.lock file during a POP3 session, which will be removed after a successful session unless a cancelled or unsuccessful session that it remains but will be updated with new PID at the beginning of the next POP3 session[/quote:987a3549bd]
    OK, Thanks, your message really help, but one more question, if that POP3 session benn cancelled , can I start it again ?
    I mean if I stop my email client software, can I start it again right after or I have to wait a few minutes ?
    My experience is I have to wait a few minutes,but how long have to wait, I never have a figure in mind.

14. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:ecf65f6f8f][i:ecf65f6f8f]Originally posted by jameshsi[/i:ecf65f6f8f]

[quote:ecf65f6f8f]
    ITF A.
    These are lock files Cpanel keeps PID of cppop in inbox.lock file during a POP3 session, which will be removed after a successful session unless a cancelled or unsuccessful session that it remains but will be updated with new PID at the beginning of the next POP3 session[/quote:ecf65f6f8f]
    OK, Thanks, your message really help, but one more question, if that POP3 session benn cancelled , can I start it again ?
    I mean if I stop my email client software, can I start it again right after or I have to wait a few minutes ?
    My experience is I have to wait a few minutes,but how long have to wait, I never have a figure in mind.[/quote:ecf65f6f8f]

jameshsi & if that POP3 session been cancelled , can I start it again ?

ITF A. Yes

jameshsi & I mean if I stop my email client software, can I start it again right after or I have to wait a few minutes ?

ITF A. You can start it again, by default no especial waiting period is necessary

15. powerhouse

powerhouse Well-Known Member

Ok, if it is hard linked, then why when I have cpanel remove the account, it ONLY deletes the user directory in mail but not in the mydomain.com that one stays.

Do I need to be concerned about that?

Thank you.
    Richard.

16. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:92ad7d1e26][i:92ad7d1e26]Originally posted by powerhouse[/i:92ad7d1e26]

Ok, if it is hard linked, then why when I have cpanel remove the account, it ONLY deletes the user directory in mail but not in the mydomain.com that one stays.

Do I need to be concerned about that?

Thank you.
    Richard.[/quote:92ad7d1e26]
    I discussed about it in page 1 of this thread click on the link to go to that post:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/read.php?TID=5064&page=1#22288

17. moronhead

moronhead Well-Known Member

The user directory under mail is only there to be compatible with the mail system prior to Cpanel5. As of Cpanel5 the new email data appears to be in both under mail and under mydomain.com directory. However the physical data is written to only one location.

18. mikerayner

mikerayner Well-Known Member

[quote:dbd15771b6][i:dbd15771b6]Originally posted by moronhead[/i:dbd15771b6]

The user directory under mail is the hard link and is only there to be compatible with the mail system prior to Cpanel5. The actual physical data is located in the user directory under mydomain.com.[/quote:dbd15771b6]

moronhead& The actual physical data is located in the user directory under mydomain.com

It seems this part is not completely true,

refer to ITF's post

you can read it here as well

[quote:dbd15771b6][i:dbd15771b6]Originally posted by itf[/i:dbd15771b6]

A &[b:dbd15771b6]hard link[/b:dbd15771b6]& is another name for an existing file. The hard link and original shares the same inode. The &inode& contains information about the file's permissions, ownership, type, and location on disk if any.

The [b:dbd15771b6]symlink[/b:dbd15771b6] (Symbolic Link) operator creates an inode with a name pointer. When you reference the inode, its contents are substituted for the name, and the name lookup continues.

Because inode numbers are within a particular device (i.e drive partition) , you can't have a &hard link& from one device to another. But you can &symlink& anywhere you want. You cannot make a &hard link& to a directory, but anyone can create a &symlink& to a directory[/quote:dbd15771b6]

19. moronhead

[quote:10483c2953][i:10483c2953]Originally posted by mikerayner[/i:10483c2953]

[quote:10483c2953][i:10483c2953]Originally posted by moronhead[/i:10483c2953]

The user directory under mail is the hard link and is only there to be compatible with the mail system prior to Cpanel5. The actual physical data is located in the user directory under mydomain.com.
    [/quote:10483c2953]
    moronhead& The actual physical data is located in the user directory under mydomain.com

It seems this part is not completely true,

refer to ITF's post

you can read it here as well

[/quote:10483c2953]
    How do you know what I wrote is not true or completely true? Do you know it as a fact or are you just guessing it? Can you tell me exactly why you think it's not true? Have you done your own research before jumping into conclusions?

itf's post is not his words. You need to ask him what I mean by that. He should be able to tell you. But this is of secondary importance; what I said wasn't at all connected to his post.

20. moronhead

Duplicate post