The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emails Not Forwarding

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by isolveit, Apr 28, 2006.

1. isolveit

isolveit Member

History
    I have dedicated server hosting a domain called ‘domain1.com’.
    It receives emails for user_a@domain1.com. There was a forwarding rule from that email account to go to user_a@domain2.com on a remote server. This worked fine until I moved the domain2.com website to the dedicated server.

The Change
    A new domain account ‘domain2.com' was created on the server which also created a zone file. The zone file was not changed from default. After this no emails were being forwarded from 'domain1.com' to the remote 'domain2.com' mail server.

Assumption
    My assumption was that as a ‘domain2.com' zone file was created and not amended the forwarding process was resolving internaly and put the mail in the local 'domain2.com' mail box.
    I have amended the zone file to what I think it should be, but the mail is still not being forwarded to the remote mail server.

Email Error
    This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

user_a@domain2.com
    (ultimately generated from user_a@domain1.com)
    retry time not reached for any host after a long failure period

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

I can provide the image of the zone file if needed

Many thanks
    Joe

2. ullalla

ullalla Well-Known Member

The most common reason for not receiving emails forwarded through your domain is due to the forwarding address being a web based email (e.g. Hotmail, Yahoo), and the junk mail filters used to prevent spam/bulk email from cluttering up your inbox.

If you believe emails are not getting forwarded from your domain name then please try checking the junk mail folder on the forwarding address. If the forwarded emails are ending up in your junk mail folder it may be necessary to adjust your junk mail filter so that in future it will recognise any email forwarded from your domain name.

Please note it will take upto 1hr for your forwarding to become active once you have configured it. For new registrations it can take upto 24hrs.

3. isolveit

isolveit Member

Hi ullalla,

Thanks for your reply.

When the zone file was not amended the emils went into the local catch all mailbox for the 'domain2.com' domain. But when i edited the mx record of 'domain2.com (IP) to point to the remote server the mail does not go into the catch all mailbox and bounces back to the sender with an error. Text included in last posting.

Joe