Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emails sent from forms issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Nicholas-MAH, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Nicholas-MAH

Nicholas-MAH Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi, everyone,

I have had a customer today notify of this issue that they are experiencing where the server sends an email from hostname@domain.com instead of mydomain@example.com. I have never come across this issue before and I am looking for any resolutions if anyone has any.

I have pasted below what my customer sent to me. (domains and personal info changed to protect customers confidential information).

Ticket from the customer:

domain.com.au on Hostname1 reports that the From field of their email form (example.com.au/booking_form.htm) no longer works. That is when they get an email submission from a customer the From address is mydomain@hostname1.domain.com. They did not notice this for some time and this is where their replies were going instead of back to the customer's email address. They did not get bounce backs.

This email form has been using the old FormMail.pl mailing script.

I created a PHP based one (example.com.au/booking_form.php) and this has not had any effect on the problem and the email trace shows the email was from mydomain@hostname1.domain.com.

They also inform me that not all websites are affected as can be seen below:

There is a PHP based form on domain.com/addurls.php (Hostname2) and this one works correctly. I copied it over to Hostname1 and this copy does not send through the correct From information.

If anyone has any ideas or knows of a fix, please I am all ears.

Kind Regards,
    Nick.

#1 Nicholas-MAH, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2017
  2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

If that is a mail through a PHP file, then you have to ask a PHP developer to check the PHP files code whether he has included a proper email sections in it with proper codes.

This would be a server issue only if you get the same thing through webmail also.. Did you check by sending a mail through webmail to see if also gives the same result or is it okay?

3. Nicholas-MAH

Nicholas-MAH Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well the customer who these 2 servers me host are hosting both Wordpress, PHP and HTML based websites, I think there is also some Joomla on there as well.

None the less, the issue is that forms are sending emails to customers/web owners as "customersdomain@serverhostname.com". This is causing some serious impact for the customers hosted across the two servers and also causing a flood of support tickets. haha. So I am hoping to resolve this asap.

Happy to provide more detailed information if required. Just name the required.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. Nicholas-MAH

Nicholas-MAH Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

Hello @cPanelMichael The issue follows:

The customer hosts WordPress, PHP and HTML websites. THey face an issue with Password reset emails for WordPress that comes from "cpanelusername@hosting.server1.com.au" and "cpanelusername@hosting.server2.com.au".

(I have used my company domain here, in the hope this will help to increase in my explanation) EXAMPLE:

server1.example.com.au

Mail from WordPress forms come from: myaushost@server1.example.com.au not from noreply@example.com.au
    Mail from web-based PHP forms comes from: myaushost@server1.example.com.au and sends to the customer as myaushost@server1.example.com.au which means the customer replies using myaushost@server1.example.com.au instead of hello@example.com.au.

So the link you provided doesn't really resolve this issue.

(server 1) and domain.com.au (server 2), domain.com.au the password reset form emails do not arrive as they are filtered by the receiving cPanel as spam, as the From address is the server address (eg cpanelusernames@hosting.server1.com.au and cpanelusernames@hosting.server2.com.au)

Thanks,

#5 Nicholas-MAH, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2017
  6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The scenario you have described is the same issue referenced on that thread. Emails sent through PHP scripts such as WordPress will always use the username@serverhostname.tld email address when SMTP authentication isn't used. For example, with WordPress, here's a plugin you may find helpful:

Postman SMTP Mailer/Email Log

Thank you.