Emails sent from forms issue

Nicholas-MAH

Sep 13, 2017
Brisbane, Queesland Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hi, everyone,

I have had a customer today notify of this issue that they are experiencing where the server sends an email from [email protected] instead of [email protected]. I have never come across this issue before and I am looking for any resolutions if anyone has any.

I have pasted below what my customer sent to me. (domains and personal info changed to protect customers confidential information).

Ticket from the customer:

domain.com.au on Hostname1 reports that the From field of their email form (example.com.au/booking_form.htm) no longer works. That is when they get an email submission from a customer the From address is [email protected]. They did not notice this for some time and this is where their replies were going instead of back to the customer's email address. They did not get bounce backs.

This email form has been using the old FormMail.pl mailing script.

I created a PHP based one (example.com.au/booking_form.php) and this has not had any effect on the problem and the email trace shows the email was from [email protected].

They also inform me that not all websites are affected as can be seen below:

There is a PHP based form on domain.com/addurls.php (Hostname2) and this one works correctly. I copied it over to Hostname1 and this copy does not send through the correct From information.

If anyone has any ideas or knows of a fix, please I am all ears.

Kind Regards,
Nick.

Last edited by a moderator:

24x7server

Apr 17, 2013
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hi,

If that is a mail through a PHP file, then you have to ask a PHP developer to check the PHP files code whether he has included a proper email sections in it with proper codes.

This would be a server issue only if you get the same thing through webmail also.. Did you check by sending a mail through webmail to see if also gives the same result or is it okay?

Nicholas-MAH

Sep 13, 2017
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Well the customer who these 2 servers me host are hosting both Wordpress, PHP and HTML based websites, I think there is also some Joomla on there as well.

None the less, the issue is that forms are sending emails to customers/web owners as "[email protected]". This is causing some serious impact for the customers hosted across the two servers and also causing a flood of support tickets. haha. So I am hoping to resolve this asap.

Happy to provide more detailed information if required. Just name the required.

Nicholas-MAH

Sep 13, 2017
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hello,

The best way to address this issue is to ensure the script used to send the email uses SMTP authentication. Here's another thread on this topic:

Addon Domain Email coming from cPanel id and hostname

Thank you.

Hello @cPanelMichael The issue follows:

The customer hosts WordPress, PHP and HTML websites. THey face an issue with Password reset emails for WordPress that comes from "[email protected]1.com.au" and "[email protected]2.com.au".

(I have used my company domain here, in the hope this will help to increase in my explanation) EXAMPLE:

server1.example.com.au

Mail from WordPress forms come from: [email protected] not from [email protected]
Mail from web-based PHP forms comes from: [email protected] and sends to the customer as [email protected] which means the customer replies using [email protected] instead of [email protected].

So the link you provided doesn't really resolve this issue.

(server 1) and domain.com.au (server 2), domain.com.au the password reset form emails do not arrive as they are filtered by the receiving cPanel as spam, as the From address is the server address (eg [email protected]1.com.au and [email protected]2.com.au)

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

The scenario you have described is the same issue referenced on that thread. Emails sent through PHP scripts such as WordPress will always use the [email protected] email address when SMTP authentication isn't used. For example, with WordPress, here's a plugin you may find helpful:

Postman SMTP Mailer/Email Log

Thank you.