The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emails still going to old email server.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by TheDjinn, Jan 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TheDjinn

TheDjinn Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We recently upgraded our email provider to Exchange Online and switched all the DNS and MX records accordingly. After about an hour I did a test email, and it went to the new server like it was supposed to. However, the second test email went to the old server and every email since then. I've checked with whatsmydns, and everything is pointing to the new server correctly.

After a bit of google research, I found out that MX records are often cached and typically don't follow the TTL expiration. So is there any way to forward all emails sent to the old server to the new server while we wait for the DNS servers around the world to get the memo?

Thanks,

2. SysSachin

SysSachin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Try to change MX record on old server and point it to new server.
    Edit DNS zone file on old server and change MX record.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Emails routed to the cPanel server should bounce to the sender if the "Email Routing" setting for the domain name is set to "Remote Mail Exchanger". Could you verify how the affected emails are sent if this is still happening? For instance, are the emails coming from local users on the cPanel server, or sent directly from remote email applications?

Thank you.