The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emails suddenly disappear when deleted in all my clients

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Barrys, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Barrys

Barrys Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    One of the email accounts I manage suddenly has emails disappearing when I delete them in all my clients (3 Outlook ,one live mail 2011). The only thing that has changed is that I have been trying a few android clients on a new phone. I suspect the host because it has affected his one account on all my clients. I prefer to keep them until I purge them.

I looked on CPanel and cannot find where I can restore the ability to keep deleted emails until I want to purge them.

Any suggestions?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You will not be able to preserve the individual emails if a user sets up an email client using POP3 and downloads the messages without configuring an option in their email client to leave a copy on the server. However, you can save messages with the "Archive" feature in cPanel. It's documented at:

Email Archives

Thank you.

3. Barrys

Barrys Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you for your reply. I guess my question was not completely clear. I have all my clients set up as IMAP. This way, deleted messages remain available until I purge them. However, for some reason, they are now being permanently deleted as if they are being purged whether in Outlook, Live Mail, or Web Mail. I do not know how to restore the original behaviour so I can urge them when I want to.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's likely one of those email clients is configured to download the messages from the server. You can search for the email address in /var/log/maillog to see the IMAP activity for the account with a command such as:

Code:
    grep email@domain /var/log/maillog
    However, you may need to consult with your web hosting provider if you don't have root access to the system, as this command requires root access to the system. The alternative solution is to change the password to the email client, and check the email with each email client individually until you can determine which one is deleting the messages from the server.

Thank you.