The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emails to any @aol.com account bounced

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by AlexSmithMCP, Jun 19, 2004.

1. AlexSmithMCP

AlexSmithMCP Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is the message that i get as a reply to any email to @aol.com addresses. I do have REVDNS enabled.... any ideas?

2004-06-19 16:01:52 1BbhLs-0000fP-ML ** address@aol.com <info@askljfh.co.uk> R=fail_remote_domains: unrouteable mail domain "aol.com"

:confused:

2. coastinc

coastinc Well-Known Member

You may have an incorrect Exim setting, check Tweak Settings.

If you would like us to look into this for you, just let us know.

3. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We get this too. I have heard that aol is blocking any emails from people NOT authorised to send to aol. I certainly think that soon there will be a big market for unfiltered email accounts. "We guarantee you'll receive all email addressed to you" type of thing. Standard service for our clients...

4. AlexSmithMCP

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Trust AOL to do sumfink like that.... its only them as well

Well f00k em lol, if a customer asks i'll try 2 find a way around it else i wont worry - ty

5. icanectc

icanectc Well-Known Member

Uh what are you talking about AOL does not do that in any way shape or form...

However the leading email providers ie; Yahoo, AOL, MSN are about to become VERY VERY strict on who can send to their server however they use RBL's albeit better ones to put an end to spamming of their customers and also to stop people from forging user ids on those servers where joeblow@aol.com sends you V1agra emails 24hours a day 7 days a week with an encrypted digital signature in all of their headers the relay server checks for a digital signature if one is not found the mail is bounced and the user never gets it.

As for your issue I would suggest you search spammers list for your site its possible AOL has your mail server blocked due to high volume of spam comming from the server.

I have plenty of servers and not one has an issue emailing to AOL users.

6. AlexF

AlexF Well-Known Member

You know, this is a funny issue for me, I'll explain:

I have a user with an aol account (as their offsite email adrress, as most of you probably have). When I sent them a receipt for Authorize.net payment (sent via my billing backend), I did receive the mail back from aol as being unrouteablle.

Now, of course as he is a user, I created an forwarder to redirect his on site to off site (aol) address and it worked without a hitch (on the same server/domain that had originally sent out the mail).

The only thing I can think of is using sendmail/(nobody) suexec or exim that they are blocking??? Can't see this from happening though..

I'm confused :confused:

7. christi1

christi1 Well-Known Member

AOHell

AOL has been banning our server about once a month for the past 6 months.

ALL of the the sites on the entire server are programmed by myself and a partner, use ZERO mailing lists other than opt-in and each month I get to fill out AOHell's whitelist form to get them to remove us from the blacklist. Even with reverse DNS enabled.

If you happen to have a server with multiple IP addresses and can't get your site whitelisted, try only entering the primary IP address.

Even with that, they sure like to take their time about unbanning you. We're about at the point that we want to ban THEM from emailing our server or at least smack them around a bit.

8. computerclone

computerclone Member

I worked For AOL for 2 months

Ok # 1

AOL does block emails.. They quietly discard email calling it the spam blocker.

They dont give a flying @%$& about anyones email but AOL..... they are just trying to keep the dam thing running..

The truth is AOL is out of control.. meaning they have way too much to handle to have a set of good processes in place to manage email properly. so much for quality outrsourcing..lol

Check your Ips make sure your not using dirty ips...

Also here is a good site to see the aol policy...

http://postmaster.aol.com/

We all know aol SUCKS... they are scammers...

Its up to you to educate your customer to use your own web client.

9. greggcz

greggcz Member

remove /etc/eximmailtrap if it's there and try sending message

10. AlexF

AlexF Well-Known Member

Without going into too much detail, how is that file used?

#10 AlexF, Jul 28, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  11. AlexSmithMCP

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    the bounce messages i was getting were from a forwarder, my personal email account on the server and a php based contact that used and email address (i.e. not from nobody)

They havnt said its not working recently so we'll see