Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emails to Catchall Address

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by _Chris_, Jun 16, 2017.

1. _Chris_

_Chris_ Well-Known Member

Can emails still be delivered to a catchall email address even if it's related to an autoresponder?

2. _Chris_

To add, I have had the same system working correctly for about 12 years, with no issues at all, then last April, the emails stopped. Was there some sort of update on cPanel around that time?

3. Jcats

Jcats Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It works for me, just tested.

I went into cPanel -> Autoresponders

Setup an autoresponder for the catchall email account.

Then went into cPanel -> Default Address

selected "Forward to Email Address" and put in that same address that I setup the autoresponder on.

I sent a test email to that autoresponder email, the email was received in the inbox, and the automated reply was also received at the senders inbox.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you provide some more information about the "catchall" email address? Does it exist as a virtual email account under cPanel, or is it the cPanel account username? What's the output from /var/log/exim_mainlog for one of the affected messages that's not working as intended? EX:

Code:
    exigrep user@domain.tld /var/log/exim_mainlog
    Thank you.

5. _Chris_

Thanks for this, it just seems strange that forwarders are no needed for this to work? If there's 8 email addresses for the website, you can't set a default address for all of them?

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You'd have to setup a global email filter in cPanel if you wanted to forward emails sent to existing email accounts. The "Default Address" action only applies to email accounts that do not exist.

Thank you.

7. Jcats

Jcats Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hmm what do you mean by setting a default address for each one?

The default address can and only ever will be just one address as its the address that 'catches' all emails that are sent to non existent emails on your domain.

If someone sends an email to bobb@domain.com however bobb@domain.com doesn't actually exist, that email will end up in the default(catch all) email. I'm pretty sure you are already aware of that though so maybe you are getting confused about the functionality in a different sense, if you can explain what you want to happen exactly it may help a bit in terms of a resolution.