Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED Emails vanished from inbox

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Zoee, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Zoee

Zoee Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi all, I've got a really odd issue with one of our mailboxes.

This morning I checked my emails on my android phone (IMAP account), I read an email and navigated back to my inbox, at which point all my emails in my inbox vanished before my eyes. Everything in my sent items, trash, other folders was there, but my inbox was empty.

When I got to the office I realised a backup from last night had filled the server. So I sorted that out and hoped my emails would reappear. They didn't (not even on webmail). I've just finished downloading the latest back up, as I was hoping to only upload my inbox backup (we have about 10 accounts on the server all of which have been in use today and all are fine with no missing data).

I've checked the backup of the "cur" folder for my email account and it looked about right, so went to proceed to upload them, but then noticed that everything is already on the server in the "cur" folder, I just can't see them when I view webmail/outlook...

Am I looking in the wrong place? If not why would they be there but not visible?

I don't think its a settings issue as I've been running my account as IMAP on 3 devices for over a year with no issues.

Thanks in advance! Getting a little anxious about emails from Friday I'd not responded to yet.

2. Zoee

Zoee Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So I solved this. I decided to back up my live "cur" folder then upload the items from last nights backup - my thinking was maybe an email was corrupt or something, and that may be causing the issues.

I uploaded the items, they didn't overwrite the existing/missing ones (the ones that were visible on FTP but not in webmail etc), but after that everything appeared! All the missing emails were duplicated but and half were marked as unread but that's fine - just glad I got them back :)

Infopro likes this.
  3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Thanks for updating your thread.