The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Embarrassing newbie mail question.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by lilywhite, Mar 15, 2005.

1. lilywhite

lilywhite Member

I've just moved to a dedicated server and I feel a little like a baby who's been thrown in to see if she can swim. And I can't do much but dog paddle.

I was able to set up an account, with a working domain. From having had shared hosting for a while, I know how to use the end user control panel to create mail accounts, which is what I did -- I logged into CPanel as that user and made several email accounts. But I'm sure there's something I have to do with WHM as well, to enable it -- a theory that seems to be confirmed by the fact that the accounts don't work.

This is the error I get when trying to send via Outlook Express:

Help?

I can supply more details if necessary, of course.

#1 lilywhite, Mar 15, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  2. lilywhite

lilywhite Member

The plot thickens.

I can now send smtp mail via port 26.

I can connect and look for new email, but even though I know email has been sent to the address, none is downloaded. If I login via webmail, it's not there. If I SEND an email via webmail (to an email address not associated with the domain that's having mail trouble), it arrives at its destination immediately.

Any ideas?

3. Est

Est Member

Good new and bad,

Hi,

Well I have good new and bad news, the good news is that is it is that simple... simply create a domain in WHM then login to the cPanel and add the email addresses... in theory it should just work.

It does seem that you have a more serious error with you WHM / cPanel configuration or worse with the server it's serlf.

I do have one silly question, are your DNS setting correct, i.e. is the domain registred and pointing to the right place? Do you host your own DNS records or are they on a third party server?

This would be my starting point when diagnosing the issue.

I hope this was a little help,

Regards,

4. lilywhite

lilywhite Member

Thanks for your help!

I checked with my host and although the domain had been pointed to the correct place and was resolving correctly, the mail sewrvers had not. Simple!

I feel better now. LOL