The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enable SFTP, and moving from one host to another

Discussion in 'Security' started by masonite, Sep 9, 2011.

1. masonite

masonite Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am moving from a previous WHM account to a new one (with a different provider). I can connect to sites on the new WHM account via SFTP, but not on the old one. What determines whether this is enabled or not? I can't find where this is set.

I'm learning how to transfer sites from one server to the other. In WHM, I'm looking at the "Copy an account from another server" section. It requires the old server's IP address (which I know) but also requires an SSH connection, which is failing. Is there any way I can enable that on the old server? Is it the same setting as the first question?

Thanks for any suggestions.
    [h=1][/h]

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    /home/virtfs determines if a user can use sFTP, since that directory is required with the user in that directory in order to be able to use sFTP

While sFTP will use SSH, sFTP and SSH are not the exact same protocols. If SSH is not working for the connection, it could be a firewall issue. Do you have a firewall on one or both machines such as APF or CSF? If you do, please try disabling the firewall to see if you can then establish the connection.

3. masonite

masonite Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for your reply, Tristan.

Not as far as I'm aware. Unfortunately, I'm not very cluey about this stuff.

Is it possible to access that via WHM? I basically have a managed VPS, so only have a pretty basic grasp of how it all works. I haven't worked out how to access the server via SSH yet. The instructions go over my head.

#3 masonite, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could try adding this plugin to be able to navigate the file system in WHM:

ConfigServer Explorer

You would need to use SSH to install it, but could then use WHM for basic commands instead of SSH. You would likely want to ask your provider for assistance for the installation or offer to pay CSF to install it.

As for whether you have a firewall like CSF, you'd see ConfigServer Security & Firewall under Plugins at the bottom if CSF itself is installed.

5. masonite

masonite Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the suggestion, Tristan. I'll check it out. :)