Enable shell_exec() on internal cPanel PHP (for cPanel plugin)

mikelegg

Mar 29, 2005
I'm developing a simple cPanel plugin using LivePHP that runs a couple of bash commands via shell_exec().

When I run it I get this error ...

PHP:
Warning: shell_exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/x3/mypluginname/myfilename.livephp on line x
/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/etc/php.ini has this setting ...
PHP:
disable_functions	= ;
So I can't work out why the plugin says that shell_exec() has been disabled.

Which php.ini file does LivePHP use?

mikelegg

Mar 29, 2005
I tried to find the php.ini file via phpinfo(), but got the error ...

PHP:
Warning: phpinfo() has been disabled for security reasons in /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/x3/mypluginname/phpinfo.livephp on line x

ModServ

Oct 17, 2006
Egypt
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You need to remove these functions from /usr/local/lib/php.ini

To check function existence:
PHP:
grep -iw "shell_exec" /usr/local/lib/php.ini
If exist you will get the whole functions so just remove it from the file and restart apache.

mikelegg

Mar 29, 2005
Thanks for that, I'd just done a search for all php.ini files on the server and was working my way through all the likely ones.

mikelegg

Mar 29, 2005
Thanks for the offer.

The Bash stuff is really simple - it's just 2 lines to fix file and folder permissions inside the public_html folder to make them compatible with suPHP (644/755) I've been running the commands manually for years but I just wanted to create a cPanel plugin so that customers can just click a button and fix the permissions themselves.

I've almost finished it.

mikelegg

Mar 29, 2005
The part I find hardest is getting my mind around how the cPanel integration works.

mikelegg

Mar 29, 2005
It's just dawned on me that /usr/local/lib/php.ini is used by the default PHP configuration that customers web sites use - so I've had to disable shell_exec() again which means my plugin won't work.

I assumed LivePHP would have used cpsrvd rather than the public web server.

Looks like I'll have to start from scratch and not use LivePHP.

Last edited:

mikelegg

Mar 29, 2005
OK, I've re-written my plugin using the old method instead of LivePHP.

According to CpanelPhp < SoftwareDevelopmentKit < TWiki the relevant php.ini is /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/etc or /var/cpanel/3rdparty/etc

(In my case it's /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/etc)

This php.ini contains
PHP:
disable_functions    = ;
But I'm still getting ...
PHP:
Warning: shell_exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /tmp/cpanel_phpengine.1318648444.24620AVb0p9xNbT on line 150
So back to my original question - what do I have to do to enable shell_exec() on cPanel's custom PHP binary?

mikelegg

Mar 29, 2005
OK here's the answer ...

cPanel/WHM was incorrectly using the public php.ini (/usr/local/lib/php.ini) instead of /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/etc/php.ini.

I fixed the problem by running /scripts/makecpphp

Brian

Dec 1, 2010
Texas
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Some further clarification here. /scripts/makecpphp shouldn't have been necessary.

What seems likely is that you did not have the touch file that is on cPanel/WHM installs by default:

/var/cpanel/usecpphp

When that empty file exists (which it does by default), cPanel/WHM uses the internal cP PHP build out of /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty (or if custom built, /var/cpanel/3rdparty). So, it sounds like this was removed on your server which would've intentionally caused cPanel/WHM to utilize the main system PHP.

/scripts/makecpphp would've coincidentally created /var/cpanel/usecpphp, hence why it resolved the matter for you. However, rebuilding cP PHP would not have been necessary.

mikelegg

Mar 29, 2005
Thanks Brian

I've installed the plugin on 3 servers so far and found the same situation on each one.

Creating /var/cpanel/usecpphp is a lot quicker than running /scripts/makecpphp, so I'll use that on the rest.

mambovince

Jan 15, 2005
London, UK
Some further clarification here. /scripts/makecpphp shouldn't have been necessary.

What seems likely is that you did not have the touch file that is on cPanel/WHM installs by default:

/var/cpanel/usecpphp

When that empty file exists (which it does by default), cPanel/WHM uses the internal cP PHP build out of /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty (or if custom built, /var/cpanel/3rdparty). So, it sounds like this was removed on your server which would've intentionally caused cPanel/WHM to utilize the main system PHP.

/scripts/makecpphp would've coincidentally created /var/cpanel/usecpphp, hence why it resolved the matter for you. However, rebuilding cP PHP would not have been necessary.
Interesting, I just had same issue running latest STABLE version.
WHM 11.30.5 (build 3)
CENTOS 5.7 x86_64 virtuozzo

And I see no /var/cpanel/usecpphp file.

As Fantastico installs have worked without this issue for years, is it possible that latest build deleted the /var/cpanel/usecpphp file somehow?

- Vincent