The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

encrypt email on server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by milind, Feb 7, 2012.

1. milind

milind Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello all,

Is it possible to encrypt the emails (instead of Plain text) in exim which are stored on the server (in /home/user) so no one can read them in plain text by logging in to the server?

2. milind

milind Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello everyone,

I was able to find solution for the problem at /https://grepular.com/Automatically_Encrypting_all_Incoming_Email

But now please someone tell me where I have to add the transport_filter rule in exim configuration to run this?

3. milind

milind Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just an update that I am getting following error in exim_maillog
    Code:
    R=virtual_user T=virtual_userdelivery defer (-24): transport filter process failed (1) while writing to tmp/1328947719.H700527P9468

4. milind

milind Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello all,

I was able to get this working and everything seems to be good now. Emails are getting encrypted without any problems.

Now I want to know is it possible to decrypt emails using webmail like squirrelmail or Horde?

5. palav0s

palav0s Well-Known Member

Hi,

Which rule have you used?

6. Miller1982

Miller1982 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I know PDF Postman is the best solution for all Encrypt mail services....
    I have been using it!!!

7. layer7

layer7 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Cpanel should offer this out of the box.

8. azurecoast

azurecoast Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello;

this is a built in rule set on CommuniGate Pro and should be possible with a mailer rule, although you need to consider how you are going to store your private key and read your emails. So, it means, you can for sure store everything using your public key to encrypt, and then you just need to be sure you have your private key to read those emails.

For mobile clients, you need to do this by getting your key into the phone as a profile (iOS 5.1+) and on IMAP clients like Apple Mail or Thunderbird you also need to get your private key into the keychain. All this is possible and simple with scripts, but just keep in mind if you loose one of these devices, and you need to get into your mail, you need to reset up a client with your private key. This part I think solves the big issues around "storage of email" on some server you are afraid might have prying eyes.

The other more complex part is to use S/MIME in a useful way with multiple clients. Say you have 2-3 computers and mobile. Most MUAs now are looking at public keys, and saving these into the local keychain. For example OSX 10.8 and Apple Mail does a great job on this. But, that does little to get that public key spread around to your other devices so you can encrypt to a recipient. What is needed here is a centralized DB and Directory system that all the devices can query and provision out to devices as you add or remove them.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but it might be useful info for others looking at Encryption for storage and sending emails.