Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

End of Support for MySQL 5.5 & 5.6

Discussion in 'Database Discussion' started by sozotech, Feb 26, 2019.

1. sozotech

sozotech Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am starting to get the following message on my servers:

"The installation of “MySQL” is out of date on the server."

My question is when is cPanel support going to end for 5.5 and 5.6? I assume there is going to be a drop dead date similar to the EA3 -> EA4 switchover so I want make sure we plan accordingly.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    HI @sozotech

We base our support on what's supported with MySQL. We no longer support MySQL 5.5 as extended support for it ended in Dec 2018 and it is slated to be removed from the product in v80 of cPanel/WHM. We will continue to support MySQL 5.6 until the end of extended support in Feb 2021 though you will continue to get notifications and it is not installed or provided by default on new installations.

We have a deprecation schedule here: cPanel Deprecation Plan - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation when we plan to remove MySQL 5.6 we'll add it to this schedule.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Bretas likes this.
  3. sozotech

sozotech Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As far as a timing perspective, when is v80 slated to come out?

Also in regards to removal of MySQL 5.5 support. Will MySQL continue to function but just not be updated?

Removed — We have removed the feature from the cPanel & WHM codebase.
    • We will not fix bugs.
    • In most cases, you cannot use the feature.
    • Any customizations on your server that continue to use or depend on the feature will experience problems.

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    We just moved v78 to RELEASE so it'll probably be a couple of months before we push v80, though I can't give you a definitive timeline.

Typically what we do in these situations is place a blocker on updating until service is updated. Since MySQL 5.5 will not be present in v80 we'll more than likely not allow you to move to that version without having updated it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...