The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enduser cPanel accounts backup won't start

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by zawack, Feb 10, 2016.

1. zawack

zawack Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi,

I have a reseller account at a provider and when I try to do a "Full Account Backup", the backup process won't start. I didn't see the archive at the root of the cPanel accounts, nothing happen. It work before and the provider said the "Full Account Backup" function is enable on the server.

Thanks in advance for help.

Guillaume

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Do you get any errors when attempting to start it?

3. zawack

zawack Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    No, I got no error, I found it very strange.

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Is your cPanel account using the default Paper Lantern style or something else? What version of cPanel is that server running, do you know? Is it just this one account, or any of the accounts you own as a Reseller?

You might go back to your Hosting Provider and ask them to attempt a Full Account Backup on your account, themselves. If that's an issue for them to do, it might be time to shop around for another Hosting Provider thats more responsive.

GL!

5. zawack

zawack Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yes my accounts use the Paper Lantern style but the "Retro" version of it, the server run the version 54 Build 12. I don't have limit of account I can create under my Reseller account, so I tries with other accounts and I got the same issue. The server run an Intel Xeon 8 Core CPU and have 32 GB of RAM, the RAM usage is about 23% and the swap usage is about 7%.

But I see the CPU load is around 18 and it have a red exclamation mark at his side. So its look like the server is currently under a heavy usage. Did you know if its may be the cause of my backup issue as the backup task might be put in a queue by the time the server get lower usage? Its my hypotheses, but I'm not sure if its related.

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    High load could be an issue. All the same, your Host is going to need to assist you with this though.

What happens exactly, when you try to initiate the backup? You hit "Generate Backup" and then what? The button is dead, the page changes, anything like that?

Have you tried defaulting back to Paper Lantern to see if the issue is still there?

I would think we could keep coming up with questions trying to track down some sort of issue, but your Hosting Provider should be able to tell you in moments by simply taking a look at the server and your account(s).

7. zawack

zawack Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    When I press "Generate Backup", the page change with this message: Full Backup in Progress … Once the full backup of your account has been completed, you will receive an email at the address you specified.

I try to switch to Paper Lantern I same issue there.

I will contact my hosting provider, its not normal than the backups won't start.

Thanks for your help! :)

Guillaume

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    That's the expected message...

How large is the account? Where are you backing up to locally to the account's root directory, or remote FTP?

9. zawack

zawack Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The account is about currently 60MB and I try both, the root directory of the account and my FTP server I have here where I am located.

10. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Going by the system response, the server will alert you when the backup is ultimately generated. Are too many backups (or something else) running on that shared server causing high load, delaying backups until load goes own? Maybe. Root user (your Hosting Provider) needs to check this and sort out any issues to get things going correctly.

You can either wait it out I guess, or get back in touch with them. Nothing we suggest on these forums would be of much use to you being a Reseller with limited access I think.