The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ensim to cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by viruseater, Jul 14, 2006.

1. viruseater

viruseater Member

I am not sure how to do this. I've been using Ensim since 2 and Plesk since 4. But I'm having trouble understanding how to proceed.

I have 160 websites that need to move from Ensim to cPanel. There is no migration option that shows except something called eXim which must not mean Ensim because it doesn't work.

Is there a recommended process here? I'd hate to have to go back to plesk again but their migration is incredibly simple and it works very well. I don't have time to do this by hand.

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Login to WHM >> Copy multiple accounts from another server :: enXim
    This should work :)

3. viruseater

viruseater Member

Thanks for the reply. Actually I did manage to get some of them, unfortunately I'm not real happy with this migration tool.

It doesn't bring over MySQL accounts which is 90% of the websites.

I got about 50% success migrating sites. half of the sites I tried failed and since there is NO explanation of why they failed I don't have the first clue how to resolve it.

#3 viruseater, Jul 15, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  4. AndyReed

PartnerNOC

There is No migration tool that will transfer the data from X based to Z based Control Panel error FREE. You'll have to restore some data manually and tweak some files to get every thing up and running on the target server.

5. viruseater

viruseater Member

The Plesk migrator does. it uses a lot of CPU because it seems to gzip everything at once instead of site by site (or at least it looks that way). But it does bring everything. I did this previously on the same server. I decided before I went live to cancel it and put cPanel on. but i had all of the sites, email accounts, databases, and data without a problem.

I also want to add, I'm not 'against' this migrator, but not bringing over MySQL is like delivering a car with no engine.

#5 viruseater, Jul 16, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  6. AndyReed

PartnerNOC

Just to clarify this for other people, you used the following:
    Login to WHM >> Copy multiple accounts from another server :: pXa (Pl*sk) 1.x, 2.x, 5.x, 6.x

7. viruseater

viruseater Member

To be honest I don't even know where cPanel ends and WHM begins. I don't understand the structure of the two. I thought WHM JUST did site management. In other words, where you logged in to a site to manage it, not the server.

But I did use the 'transfer multiple sites and did use 'eXim' etc etc, yes that's correct.

8. AndyReed

PartnerNOC

One more time, when transferring accounts from Ensim to the cPanel/WHM control panel, you should be using:
    Login to WHM >> Copy multiple accounts from another server :: enXim

9. viruseater

viruseater Member

Errrr. I just said 'yes that's correct'????

10. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

unfortunated there are no "easy" way of doing the transfer from ensim to cpanel. You should have done more research before asking questions about the transfer. There are a lot of discussions on various forums regarding this issue.

As for the transfer, maybe I could share some of my experience with you to give you some idea.

I did a transfer for ensim 4.x few 2 years back. WHM doesn't have proper way of doing such transfer. You will have to use the enXim tools as you said to transfer the site html and all. That shouldn't have much problem.

As for MySQL you will have to transfer manually. It can be done by exporting/importing function in MySQL. It's a little troublesome but it works and doesn't takes much effort.

After the transfer, you email accounts might have some problems. When I was doing it, the quota was not transfered and I had to manually reset all quotas.

Basically, best if you could do the transfer one by one. Start with smaller sites. Those are much easier to transfer. Also, the enXim transfer does not work on BIG sites. It will timeout if it takes too long to transfer a big site.

Really sorry cause I can't recall much from my previous transfer. Hope this helps.

11. big

big Well-Known Member

is it possile without having root access to the remote machine?, only the user's accounts info?

12. ffeingol

ffeingol Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The WHM xfer does a "pretty good" job of the xfer but missues a couple of biggies:

- MysQL db's. Dependign on how you have the db prefix setup it might grab them or it will miss tehm.
    - All subdomains are skipped.

I have a bugzilla item open on this. If you want I can search for it bugzilla report.

Frank

13. rsaylor

rsaylor Well-Known Member

Hi, I am both Ensim, Plesk and WHM/cPanel experience.

To give you the base comparison from Ensim to WHM/cPanel

Ensim Admin = WHM
    Ensim Reseller = WHM
    Site Admin = cPanel
    User Admin = cPanel mail template

As far as migration, the tool is what it is and a lot of times the migration will fail because WHM/cPanel has username restrictions in length and unique. Where Ensim allowes long usernames and multiple sites can have the same username due to how it handles virtual users where cpanel does not.

WHM/cPanel is easier to manager where if Ensim breaks you better know what you are doing.

Hope all is well, good luck with your transfer. You will probally have to move most of them manually.