The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entire MYSQL Directory is backing up per account?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Jimbo222, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Jimbo222

Jimbo222 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    In backup config I have "Entire MySQL Directory" selected as I have some db's not associated with any account. What I understand is that this option will backup all db's on the server. When I look through the backup archive for any one specific account, I see a mysql folder containing all of the db backups for that account.

So my question is, if I am selecting "Entire MySQL Directory" and it's also backing them up per account, then how is the option "Per Account and Entire MySQL Directory" any different?

Also, I can't see to find where the "Entire MySQL Directory" backup is located. Where would I find the backups of the db's not attached to any cpanel account?

2. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    From the documentation:
    I'm guessing that this is just an rsync as opposed to mysqldump (which the actual db dump is), so probably not what you want to use here.

What I would personally suggest is running a mysqldump every few hours , on the databases that aren't owned by your users. Store it on a remote server.

3. Jimbo222

Jimbo222 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks, found them, and good advice. I didn't know those were treated differently. I guess now, the only thing I'm wondering is why I have db's backed up at the account level when all I have is Entire MySQL Directory selected. If the backup backs ups databases per account anyway, then what's the point of having the different options that include "per account"?

4. twhiting9275

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    As you mentioned, you don't have some databases assigned to an account, backing them up separately would be a good idea, of course. I'm not sure that using 'backup entire directory' is good, as it looks to be just backing up the binary files, which isn't really the best approach here.

5. Jimbo222

Jimbo222 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Yes, I follow. Thanks for your replies. I'm just confused on the backup configuration setting and why it would have the different options that include "per account" for database backup. In selecting the option "Entire MYSQL Directory", the backup script still backs up the databases in each account (per account) in .sql files. So I was just wondering the point of having options that include "per account" if it backs up the db's per account even if you choose the option that doesn't include "per account". What's the point?

I guess what it means is backing up other mysql files not included in the mysqldump. I guess I was just confused on how they worded it in the WHM gui. Thanks.

6. twhiting9275

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yeah, I agree, it is worded a bit odd.

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you verify if a remote MySQL server is utilized? Also, what version of cPanel is installed on the system?

Thank you.