The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*Epic Fail* OS upgrade adn CP/WHM upgrade and full restore

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by busterkat, Apr 6, 2013.

1. busterkat

busterkat Active Member

After full backup, upgrade from 11.34 to 11.36 and RHEL 4 to 6, unbelievably slow incomplete restore, the few accounts that were "restored" have the wrong ips. I changed the ips in WHM but so far the server is returning the default problem page.

The response I got from the support tech was

This is a disaster. What do you guys think?

2. arunsv84

arunsv84 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Above mentioned script will restore all the backup files placed under /home. What do you mean by default problem page? Is it the cPanel default page? Note that after changing the ip's it will take some time for the dns to propagate. Allow some time and your sites should work fine. You may verify the same by accessing the websites using the temp url. It will be something like following.

http://serverip/~username

Cheers!!!

#2 arunsv84, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  3. busterkat

busterkat Active Member

It was the cp default page. All these accounts and ips were supposed to be recreated!
    I corrected all ips via whm but the account created emails have wrong ips listed.
    I was able to complete the restore with the script. Some sites work but not all unless I access with ip~username.
    Show IP Address Usage screen had multiple errors, so I changed the ips again. So accounts were attached to the shared server address.
    A wordpress site is down.
    Mail is down.
    After exiting ssh I am now unable to log in again via ssh or whm unless i flushcache. Download the keys again for my knownhosts file?
    Restart mail, imap?
    Reinstall wordpress?
    I did not restore rvadmin. Is that important?

There are a bunch of .gz files in the /cpbackup dir that werent there before I used cprestore like
    _var_spool_cron.tar.gz
    _usr_local_apache_conf_httpd.conf
    _etc_secondarymx.gz
    /va
    /userdata
    /suspendinfo

Things are improving but slowly.
    :confused:

#3 busterkat, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  4. arunsv84

arunsv84 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes. The restore script will fully restore the accounts. I'm not getting the exact difficulty that you are facing. Are you saying that the dedicated ip's were not assigned to the accounts after the restore? Note that you need to add all the ip's manually. cPanel will not add it.

Still not clear with your query. Do you mean the accounts are having wrong MX record?

By default the accounts will be attached to shared ip address.

Make sure that you are not locked out from your server. Whitelist your ip if cPHulk Brute Force protection is enabled. No need to reinstall mail and imap. It will be installed automatically by cPanel. Regarding your wordpress website, if you are getting some database related error, you just need to grant privileges to the db. We cant say anything without checking the logs.

I would recommend you to contact your server provider or hire a system admin so they will help you to fix the issues. I don't think you have serious issues. These are normal during restoration and can be fixed easily.

Regarding "Rvadmin", its an account created by "Rvskin" software. If you are not planning to use "Rvskin", then no need to restore it.

Cheers!!!

#4 arunsv84, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013