The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

erase forwarded emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by aspotism, Mar 17, 2005.

1. aspotism

aspotism Registered

Hello.
    I have a client who has 15 emails set up on his site. About 10 or so are forwarding to other email accounts, other users get their email via outlook express.
    Is there any way that I can delete the emails on the server once they're forwarded or get it on their computer?
    The way it is now...
    email sent, on server, forwarded to diff. email acct., email still remains on server.

Can I tweak something or use a cron job?
    The way it is now they are going to have to log in via webmail and do a lot of deleting.

Big thanks in advance.
    Anthony

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have POP accounts for each of your forwarders. Don't need that. An email address can be set up as a POP, a forwarder, or both, but both is optional. Just delete the POP accounts.

3. johndoe

johndoe Active Member

Exceptions

I have the same issue with one client in particular. He owns three large used car lots. He has about a dozen salesman dispersed at the three locations. He forwards sales leads to all three locations.

It seems that when forwarders are being sent to email addresses at the same domain name the POP account uses, deleting the "main address" at the POP level makes it impossible to receive the forwarders. It's so complicated, it's hard to describe in this post.

example:

POP ACCOUNT: manager@domain.com has FORWARDERS: => sales@domain.com => sales2@domain.com => sales3@domain.com => sales 4@domain.com

In the above configuration, "manager" also would prefer to receive all the messages to all the sales destinations in his private "manager@domain.com" inbox. Othewise, he would have to setup all the "sales" accounts in his mail client to receive the forwarded messages. This is where the problem begins. If "manager@domain.com" is deleted at the POP level, the messages may still be forwarded, but the manager will not be able to receive them in his mail client, if it is configured for "manager@domain.com".

With another client who had the problem of messages building up at the server level, I recommended she have all forwarders point to her ISP address, then remove the POP level accounts and configure her email client to receive the ISP address. That worked for her. But the car lot client doesn't want to have "sales@sbcglobal.net", etc. on his business network if he doesn't have to, since that's what would show up in the return address of outgoing messages. He would rather have his domain name show up in the return address of outgoing messages.

In summary, if he removes "manager@domain.com " from the POP level at the server, he won't be able to configure his email client with the account "manager@domain.com" to receive all the messages sent to "manager@domain.com", because "manager" is not setup as a POP account at the server. He would have to setup his email client with a separate account for each of the "sales" addresses.

Even if the manager configured, for instance, "manager2@domain.com" at the POP level, and had all messages from "manager@domain.com " forwarded to the sales addresses and manager2 address, the messages, since they are forwarded, get caught in a "loop", and end up back on the server under the "manager2@domain.com" account, even after "manager2@domain.com" messages have been downloaded to the manager's email client.

This is so complicated, I'm not even sure my post makes sense of it. But a solution, if anyone has one, would be highly appreciated, especially by "manager". : - )

4. johndoe

johndoe Active Member

P.s.

I forgot to subscribe to this thread, so that's what this P.S. is for.