Error 404 after changing domain name

Jesusp97

Registered
Mar 11, 2022
Venezuela
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi,

So, I'm kind of new in cpanel and I'm getting accustomed to stuff. I had this old website which I wanted to change its domain name. Now, I have done it but in the process now I get a 404 error when accessing that ip address.

My question is ¿Where I can redirect again the index.html file again in order to display the webpage?. I've tried renaming it to the previous url but it still gives me the same error.

cPanelWilliam

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 13, 2018
Houston
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello!

Now, I have done it but in the process now I get a 404 error when accessing that ip address.
Can you clarify what you mean by accessing the IP address? Were you trying to preview the domain with a mod_userdir style URL? If so, a 404 error could be due to a variety of reasons such as an incompatible PHP Handler. We have an article detailing this here:

Which PHP handlers support mod_userdir?

The following article should also serve as a good starting point for troubleshooting 404 errors:

Apache 404 Error

My question is ¿Where I can redirect again the index.html file again in order to display the webpage?. I've tried renaming it to the previous url but it still gives me the same error.
You can place redirect rules within the site's .htaccess file. The redirects interface in cPanel can also be used to place redirects in the .htaccess.

quietFinn

Feb 4, 2006
Finland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
How exactly did you change the domain of the website?

Jesusp97

Registered
Mar 11, 2022
Venezuela
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I went over WHM > list account > modify account

Then I changed the domain name from cornervilla.com to cocobohio.com, but it redirects me to the first address

I get a 404 error when I try to reach the webpage using the IP address given by the hosting service. And, the .htaccess file doesn't show anything that I can edit in order to stop that redirection.

cPanelWilliam

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 13, 2018
Houston
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
There can be many potential reasons as to why the new domain is redirecting back to the old domain name. As an example, if the site is using WordPress and the Home/Site URL has not been updated to match the new domain name that could be a potential cause.

With that said, it would be difficult to know the reasons behind these issues for certain without being able to take a look at the website and server configuration.

I would suggest reaching out to your hosting provider for additional assistance since they would have the necessary access to review this in detail, or if you have root access you can open a ticket with our team and we could take a closer look for you.

quietFinn

Feb 4, 2006
Finland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The domain you changed to does not resolve to any IP address, maybe it has wrong name servers?
If it redirects you to the old domain it's probably because of browser cache.