Error 500 is not being logged

rudolfl

Aug 3, 2015
Melbourne
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi all,

I am trying to fix error 500 that appears on some pages in my Wordpress site.
- Wordpress debug log does not log this error (logs all other relevant activity, though)
- /home/<user>/logs/<domain>.ftp.log doe snot log this error
/var/log/apache/error_log -- does not log this error
No local error_log files generated

Where else can it be?
Using PHP-FPM handler with PHP 7.3

Thanks,
Rudolf

SS-Maddy

Mar 28, 2009
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello Rudolf,

From your message, I believe it could be because of a plugin or a script running on those pages alone ? Did you explore that possibility ? I understand the situation and we had a couple of similar cases, but following the options and tips mentioned in the Wordpress KB , especially the SCRIPT_DEBUG helped. - Debugging in WordPress | WordPress.org

rudolfl

Aug 3, 2015
Melbourne
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,
It is most likely a plugin causing this. Page is a generic one from Wordpress (custom post creation), but one of the plugins is likely to act on it. As this is a live site, I am a bit hesitant to start disabling plugins. I am trying to duplicate the site at the moment, so I will be able to do a bit of destructive testing.

SCRIPT_DEBUG variable only really applies to debugging JS and CSS -- this one forces Wordpress to supply normal, non-compressed version of those scripts.

Still not explaining why error does not appear in logs. I thought it should be reflected in one of the logs.

Rudolf

Neutrall

PartnerNOC
Jul 22, 2014
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
On a scenario we've saw in the past, the culprit was the Apache LogLevel setting.

Just in case, you can double check in your WHM (Apache configuration -> Global Configuration) and look at the LogLevel setting.

Your should make sure the LogLevel is at "warn" so that most regular errors will be logged in "/usr/local/apache/logs/error_log" file.