ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server received when subscribing to folders

dcrouch

PartnerNOC
Oct 11, 2004
We receive the following message after trying to subscribe to folders.

ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
Query: SUBSCRIBE "INBOX.INBOX_Sent"

This happened to a client after trying to a client. We checked their quota, and temporarily set it to one gigabyte to see if it was a memory issue and it was not. Tried to restart courier-imap and this failed in fixing this issue. Not sure where to look and have searched these forums already.

dcrouch

PartnerNOC
Oct 11, 2004
1) Are you using a webmail client (i.e. SquirellMail, Horde, etc. )? If so, which one?

- Squirrel Mail

2) And/or are you trying to access the folders via Outlook, Thunderbird, Entourage, etc.?

This was in Squirrel Mail. The error occured in Squirrel mail when trying to subscribe to folders.

3) Does your cPanel account use mbox or maildir? If the latter, is this a recent conversion?

This uses maildir, conversion was performed a day or so ago.

RickG

Feb 28, 2005
North Carolina
It would help to know:

1) Are you using a webmail client (i.e. SquirellMail, Horde, etc. )? If so, which one?
2) And/or are you trying to access the folders via Outlook, Thunderbird, Entourage, etc.?
3) Does your cPanel account use mbox or maildir? If the latter, is this a recent conversion?

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Are SquirrelMail and courier on the same server?

It may be a timeout issue. is there anything in the mail log about this?

dcrouch

PartnerNOC
Oct 11, 2004
Thank you.

I edited the address.

[email protected] [/backup]# tail -n 2000 /var/log/maillog | grep ACCOUNT_NAME
Nov 1 11:52:06 world imapd: LOGIN, user=ACCOUNT_NAME, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], protocol=IMAP
Nov 1 11:52:06 world imapd: Failed to create cache file: maildir_lock (ACCOUNT_NAME)
Nov 1 11:52:06 world imapd: Failed to create cache file: maildir_lock (ACCOUNT_NAME)
Nov 1 11:52:07 world imapd: LOGOUT, user=ACCOUNT_NAME, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], headers=0, body=0, time=1
Nov 1 11:52:58 world imapd: LOGIN, user=ACCOUNT_NAME, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], protocol=IMAP

dcrouch

PartnerNOC
Oct 11, 2004
Thanks for your help.

The user went over their quota.

That's generally the first thing that I check.

RickG

Feb 28, 2005
North Carolina
You state the "conversion was performed a day or so ago.

- Is it correct to say this error started after the conversion?

- The folder structure you mention "INBOX.INBOX_Sent" doesn't sound right which can happen after a conversion.

- Have you tried re-subscribing to the folder(s), and or looking at this thread?
http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=49004

dcrouch

PartnerNOC
Oct 11, 2004
The issue has been resolved already.

The user was way over his quota.

Once he raised his quota the error was no longer received.

Everything works fine now.