The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error in SSL installation Missing certificate data. A certificate and private key m

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MaRiOsGR66, Apr 29, 2011.

1. MaRiOsGR66

MaRiOsGR66 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I have to re-install an SSL that a client of ours did order (he created the CSR etc).

The client have provided me with the SSL Certificate and CA Certificate.

When I try to install it via WHM through SSL/TLS -> Install a SSL Certificate and Setup the Domain
    I do paste the SSL Certificate into the crt box and press Fetch,
    then it automaticaly completes the boxes "Domain" "User" "IP Address" (wich is dedicated for this domain).

The problem is that the above box which requires the .key gives me the error "Sorry, no SSL key file was found for the domain "

So when I press "Submit" I get the error:

Error
    SSL install aborted due to error: Missing certificate data. A certificate and private key must be provided.

What can I do ?

2. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Re: Error in SSL installation Missing certificate data. A certificate and private ke

Where was the CSR generated. Was it on the same server when SSL was initially installed. If so, check the server manually in the /etc/ssl/private folder or the private folder path depending on your OS. If you cannot find the key, run 'updatedb' without commas and then 'locate domain.com |grep -i key' where domain.com needs to be replaced with the actual site with the SSL.
    If it does not help, you might have to re-issue a new CSR, have your client get a new cert against the new key and then re-install it.
    It is advised to keep the key in a secure ticket system or internal notes in your help desk for future reference as often re setups, moves etc can result in missing keys as they are not usually noticed.

3. MaRiOsGR66

MaRiOsGR66 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: Error in SSL installation Missing certificate data. A certificate and private ke

I've found the key at /etc/ssl/private

Thank you.

4. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

Glad to learn that your issue is resolved. :)