Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Error Installing on RedHat 9

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stefaans, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

I have a new RedHat 9 box. During my first attempt at installing CPanel, one of the RPM install routines failed with row on row of errors and 99% CPU usage. Unfortunately I don't know the exact step in the install because too many errors have scrolled past and I couldn't see the preceeding commands.

Managed to kill the process and the installation continued. During the a later step of updating cPanel, everything grinded to a halt.

I got the server rebooted, and took another go at "sh lastest" again. Got a similar RPM error, this time with a different error number.

The error RPM is: "error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h# 68 Header V3 DSA signature: BAD, key ID db42a60e"

Right now the install appears stuck again at the "Building Apache" step. :rolleyes:

One last concern is that http://layer1.cpanel.net/ does lists up to RedHat 8.0. while the CPanel.net home page does list compatibility with RedHat 9.

Is RedHat 9 really supported? Should I get my ISP to install RedHat 8.0 or 7.3? :rolleyes:

Your advice is appreciated. ;)

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bmcclure

bmcclure Well-Known Member

Yes, it should now be supported... I tried it about a month or 2 ago and it wasn't, but they list it on www.cpanel.net now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bmcclure

Building Apache and building Perl takes quite a while, how long did you give it?

4. Stefaans

It's been busy for over an hour building Apache. I would have expected 10 to 20 minutes. I have now aborted with CTRL+C and will try do it all again from scratch.

I see RedHat 9 is listed on the CPanel home page, but not at http://layer1.cpanel.net/. Is that not reason for concern?

5. bmcclure

RH 9 support is new (if it is in fact supported), so you may want to put in a ticket with CPanel before you pull your hair out to make sure. I was ready to forget CPanel and move along until I someone here told me 9 wasn't supported ... I installed 8 and it went smooth as can be.

Ask CPanel, and if it's not supported, go with RH 8.

6. Stefaans

Thanks, I'll follow your advice. Then at least the annoying "cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:" below all our posts will have some meaning :D

7. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If you did open a ticket, please post it here

8. Stefaans

Thanks Nic. Ticket ID# 15924.

9. bmcclure

Let me know what solution you end up getting ... I'd like to test out a RH9 server with CPanel if it's supported...

Thanks!

10. Stefaans

Sure, I'll post back here when I know what the exact status is. Likely only in a couple of days.

Right now the server is down after trying to reboot with an fsk. My guess it that there is a simple explanation -- either CPanel doesn't fully support RedHat or I have a hardware problem.

11. nuclear

nuclear Member

I've been running RH9 and cPanel since the end of May without any major problems.

I did notice the RH9 install was removed from layer1.cpanel.net though...wondering if maybe they rushed out a release for it and then took it down?

12. Stefaans

Nuclear. your first comment is encouraging, the second not. I will post again when CPanel.net have repled to my ticket - only silince thus far.

13. Stefaans

Still struggling. :rolleyes: CPanel staff thinks it could be a harware problem. Now waiting for a response from the data center. The communication process is slow because of different time zones.

14. Stefaans

The data center tech manager thinks the server has a bad memory chip. Because we also had some file system errors, they are preparing a brand new box for me right now. :)

The new box will have RedHat 8 because I feel uneasy about CPanel's support for RedHat 9. If it is indeed supported, I would have expected it to be listed at http://layer1.cpanel.net/, but is not. :confused:

In his ticket correspondence, Nick did not mention any RedHat 9 incompatibilies other than that they have seen the RPM database corruption before. Right now, I don't have the time to try RedHat 9 again and fail again...

15. bmcclure

RH9 would be nice, but I guess it's just not in the cards right now ...

Kind of like Windows support? *hint hint*

We've got hundreds of NT customers moving to us in the next few months and we really wish we had CPanel on those boxes ... I guess we'll have to go with *gulp* Ensim?

16. sabarishks

sabarishks Active Member