The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error Message from Server.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dovblink2, Mar 10, 2010.

1. dovblink2

dovblink2 Registered

Problem:​
    When I access Mydomain.com, it will show me an error with this information:​

403 Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server.
    Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.​
    ---------------------------------------------------​
    Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8i DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at MYDOMAIN.COM Port 80

What I did to get this error:
    The first to know is that the website was working alright. Everything was in its place and in the way it had to work. However, I made a wrong choice. I decided to create a folder called "htdocs" and then, I copied the files of "public_html" to "htdocs" and after that I got my first error which said about No file or directory, I really don't remember that first error. After that, I thought it was due to the existence of a "public_html" and a "htdocs" folder at the same time, so I deleted "public_html", however, nothing changed I kept on having the same error. Therefore, I decided to create a folder with that name "public_html" and then I had a backup of the files of the server so I just put the stuff back in that folder, how it was. Nonetheless, after doing this I got this error that I quoted above. When this happened I searched on Google and read something about this is due to permissions, so I changed all the "public_html" folder to 755 and the folder "www" I changed that, too. After this I went to www.mydomain.com and the website was not working properly, for example, the background-images did not appeared, and most of the CSS files were not loading, some of the js too, etc. It was an incomplete loading of the website. So I thought it was because of permissions, so I started moving permissions in "public_html" to 644, 750, etc, and then I found some error_logs, in the "public_html" because there, I had my pages, like index.php, contact.php, aboutus.php, etc. And also there was an error_log in my folder of images, because the website uses a php line to randomize the picking of the background of the page when a visitor access it. Thus, I thought this was the origin of all my problems, and I changed it and nothing happened. After this I put my whole website from php to html, all index.php, contact.php, ETC.php, I put it into ETC.html, and it did not work either (Don't think I simply changed the format by typing it at the end, no no, I did it correctly).​

What should be done in a case like this? Is there a solution or is it better to restart the server (if possible) or what?
    Note: I have poor knowledge about server administration because I am new, however, I wish to learn. :) Good thing I get in these situations. Good for learning. :)

2. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

Hello there,

Do you have root access to the server? If so, you need to change the group of the public_html folder to nobody. This can be done like so:

chgrp nobody /home/username/public_html

If you do not have access, you will have to ask your provider to make this change.

Chris