The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error message possibly related to mysqladmin?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by kamm, Feb 21, 2009.

1. kamm

kamm Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Folks,

Firstly, I've got a managed server and I've submitted a ticket for this and they say there's no cause for concern, but I'm wondering what you guys think.

So, the possible problem is...

This morning I received this error message:

The backup of xxx_user_xxx's account encountered errors Please check
    /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log and
    /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/1235_xxx.log for more information.

cpbackup log appeared to be much like any other night.
    logs/error_log appeared to be new and had the following errors.

2009-02-21 00:00:27 info [mysqladmin] Not updating privileges for xxx_user_1_xxx (reseller login and no password specified in ~/.my.cnf)
    2009-02-21 00:01:00 info [mysqladmin] Not updating privileges for xxx_user_2_xxx (reseller login and no password specified in ~/.my.cnf)
    etc...

There was one of the above errors for each account.

Strangely, the time in the error_log appears to be out of sync with the backup by exactly one hour.

So backup started at. 01:00:02 for user_1
    first error_log message shows a time for 00:00:27 for user_1
    last error_log message shows a time for 00:29:25 for the last user
    with backup ending at 01:29:40

Should I be concerned?

2. larwilliams

larwilliams Active Member

run this command (replacing the cpbackup log file name with the right one)

grep "error" /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/1235_xxx.log

In my case, it shows:
    /bin/gtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Looking over the log file, gtar is unable to trying to include the "public_ftp" folder and failing due to insufficient user privileges. I assume this is an issue introduced with the latest cPanel update, as this has never occurred on our servers before.

3. larwilliams

larwilliams Active Member

Here is what I ran on my most recent cpbackup log and got:

grep "/bin/gtar" /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/1235536201.log

Copying homedir..../bin/gtar: ./public_ftp: Cannot savedir: Permission denied

4. kamm

kamm Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That sounds a bit different to the errors I'm getting.

I was thinking the problem might be related to this entry in cpanel's recent changelog:

My hosting company tells me they are going to submit a ticket to cpanel about the issue. Here's hoping!

5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The mysqladmin entries in the cPanel error log are unrelated to the backup issues. The mysqladmin entries are generated by a reseller logging into a customer's cPanel account.

The change log entry regarding my.cnf is an issue peculiar to mysqlup and not backups.

cpbackup would always skip files and directories not accessible by the user. In the past we never captured the error output to log it. We recently began capturing such output so those issues can be rectified.

6. kamm

kamm Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the response...

This server doesn't have any reseller accounts. There is one error for each and every user appearing in the same sequence as cpanel backups. These errors are occurring every night. I'm not having any real database problems, so I guess these errors are false positives?

The thing that concerns me is that since the 20 Feb I've been receiving night email notifications that a backup has encountered errors. Last night's error was...

Code:
    The backup of xxxxxx's account encountered errors
    Please check /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log and /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/123595xxxx.log for more information.

It seems to have been triggered here...
    Notification => [email]xxxxx@gmail.com[/email] via EMAIL [level => 2]
    If I ignore these notifications how will I know when there is a real problem with backup?

7. S-Combs

S-Combs Well-Known Member

We are have the same problem on one of our servers that was recently updated to 11.24.4-C34331.

Since once again the cPanel changelog for the Current tree hasn't been updated in a month. I can't see what may have changed to create this new problem.

Logs

/usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log
    Code:
    2009-03-02 11:26:52 info [mysqladmin] Not updating privileges for cxxxxxed (reseller login and no password specified in ~/.my.cnf)
    2009-03-02 11:28:02 info [mysqladmin] Not updating privileges for exxxxxas (reseller login and no password specified in ~/.my.cnf)
    2009-03-02 11:38:13 info [mysqladmin] Not updating privileges for cxxxxxle (reseller login and no password specified in ~/.my.cnf)
    2009-03-02 11:46:26 info [mysqladmin] Not updating privileges for mxxxxxse (reseller login and no password specified in ~/.my.cnf)
    2009-03-02 11:49:02 info [mysqladmin] Not updating privileges for jxxxxxqu (reseller login and no password specified in ~/.my.cnf)
    2009-03-02 11:51:40 info [mysqladmin] Not updating privileges for bxxxxxbe (reseller login and no password specified in ~/.my.cnf)
    2009-03-02 11:52:32 info [mysqladmin] Not updating privileges for hxxxxxho (reseller login and no password specified in ~/.my.cnf)
    2009-03-02 11:54:58 info [mysqladmin] Not updating privileges for cxxxxxyf (reseller login and no password specified in ~/.my.cnf)
    2009-03-02 11:56:27 info [mysqladmin] Not updating privileges for wxxxxxhc (reseller login and no password specified in ~/.my.cnf)
    [EDIT] None of these accounts are resellers [/EDIT]

/usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/1235992250.log
    Shows many of the following errors from every account. These are mostly cache files from both CS-Cart and X-Cart scripts which we host many of.
    Code:
    Copying homedir....
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempMC4jyU: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempsdiPEM: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempkyE8I9: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempy5Lo2J: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempOgJGrp: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstemp5qf5SX: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstemp4wFPCe: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempuxAtEU: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempEtJBi1: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstemp2rp6z4: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempHOPSYh: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempILLGsQ: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempUJw2PY: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempExxnPV: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempJitMKR: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstemp0qVOKn: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstemphQdasj: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempueTsGU: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempCGI0XF: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstemp0mEKXx: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempEQFBKX: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempIfsVxV: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstemp0LnVxN: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempesCkZX: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempC94zVN: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempTz9TTH: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempMVk3s1: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempu7GwdS: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstemptjLPsM: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/cstempQlFgHR: Cannot open: Permission denied
    Code:
    Copying homedir....
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/detailed_clones3RFn8: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/detailed_cloneyOudNJ: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/detailed_cloneIRByKY: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/image_clonekwjmrb: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/detailed_cloneMxhwRU: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/image_clonegSMBp5: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/detailed_clonecqgpyE: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/image_cloneUOiu2G: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/detailed_clonemARIA2: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/detailed_clone0Gwu3q: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/detailed_clonewaBg1C: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/image_clonetVpk0C: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/image_cloneeYpnq4: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/image_cloneGsemNf: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/image_cloneOrmP3t: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/detailed_clone0yXL8w: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/image_cloneZt30du: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/image_clone0p5xIM: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/detailed_cloneqELfC7: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/image_cloneMxJUwe: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/image_clonecmsUbo: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/detailed_clonekvIg69: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/image_cloneJY7UUL: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/compiled/detailed_cloneQdi3JP: Cannot open: Permission denied
    Code:
    Copying homedir....
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/emailmarketer/admin/com/storage/session_files/sess_b478f07f105f5e853299311353b714d3: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpTpEiGM: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmplYA0px: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpwwXLOB: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpMcyVWL: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpVdFDog: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpkmYubP: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpDEKr7Y: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpL9caXM: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpPve3IM: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmppQGKoK: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmp3CEiPt: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmp9nsFhk: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpd6Eq68: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmp6kM7lc: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpfYyZ0g: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpdTJApV: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmp9SVgql: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpAzzMdD: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpEPahT4: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmptEUsK8: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpO7wAYk: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpD6fH0V: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpFjwM6f: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpRzZxwQ: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmplrJXE1: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpuc4S0P: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmptzSsuA: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmp2qax2l: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpiBm822: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpVQfGJC: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmp3TqVGA: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmp1N78kW: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmp5dkV7H: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpTkETaV: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmppoFi5u: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: ./public_html/var/tmp/xctmpNxEePV: Cannot open: Permission denied

#7 S-Combs, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  8. S-Combs

S-Combs Well-Known Member

Backup also seems to hang on many accounts while processing cpbackup-exclude.conf

Code:
    lfd on xq41.cyberlnc.com: Excessive resource usage: cxxxxxro (24934)

Time:         Mon Mar  2 06:36:57 2009 -0600
    Account:      cxxxxxro
    Resource:     Process Time
    Exceeded:     2405 > 2400 (seconds)
    Executable:   /bin/tar
    Command Line: /bin/gtar -c -f - -X /etc/cpbackup-exclude.conf .
    PID:          24934
    Killed:       No

9. kamm

kamm Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For information my server is also running cPanel 11.24.4-C34331

10. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The "Cannot open: Permission denied" messages are from tar. In the past, these messages were never captured or logged. All files and directories that have such entries are skipped by tar ( and always have been ).

The "[mysqladmin] Not updating privileges for cxxxxxed" message may be due to the root user ( who is also a reseller ) accessing the databases for backup purposes. That should be easy to test and verify. Please remember these entries are not errors. They are informational only.

11. vincentg

vincentg Well-Known Member

What is the extracpus set at on your server?

I starting getting this message when it was changed to 15 on my server.

Cpanel set this to 15 due to this server getting this error.
    While processing, the cpu has been
    maxed out for more than a 6 hour period.

The server does not have a high load for more than 6 hours as the message stated but does go above 2 for a short time due to quota checking and backups.

I changed a second server to this setting of 15 and both servers come back with this Backup error:
    Please check /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log

12. vincentg

vincentg Well-Known Member

ok - here's the problem - The backup is done as the cpanel user.

If you set the extracpus to 15 which seems to be what Cpanel recommends you will get these backup error messages.

From Cpanel:
    These files and/or directories need to be readable by the cPanel user as gtar is run as the cPanel user and not as root.

Thus if files are saved by applications as the owner nobody - it does not get backed up unless it's readable by the Cpanel user!

This then requires all servers to install SuPHP which so far I found increases the server load.

What is the thoughts of others on this subject???

#12 vincentg, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  13. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Seems to be a cpanel bug. I don't change anything with the accounts and they backup fine the next night and it's someone elses' turn to not backup. Consistently 1 account per server has an error and it's a different one each night. I don't bother to try and find the problem as there is obviously no problem.

Just a FYI.

14. kamm

kamm Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm dealing with this problem by using the cpbackup-exclude.conf file found in each user's account.

To exclude a directory such as...
    cache

I'm using...
    ./public_html/cache

I also had to exclude some temporary files that were being created that looked like this...
    tmpHzDg4A.pdf
    tmpgd61iQ.pdf

To exclude them I'm using...
    ./public_html/pdf/tmp*.pdf

This strategy seems to be successful if not a little time consuming to implement.

It would be nice to see cPanel give non-SuPHP users a way to exclude files and directories globally.

Also, some people have said that this issue isn't a problem at all. I don't agree with that. Receiving error messages every night that user's backups are failing, is a problem in itself.

Cheers,
    kamm...

#14 kamm, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  15. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Such functionality does exist in the latest RELEASE, CURRENT and EDGE builds. The global exclude file is /etc/cpbackup-exclude.conf

16. escv

escv Registered

Did I miss something?

The Cpanel staff who have commented in this post thread have not addressed the issue or provided any input on a resolution - just stating that they "finally" added this Info error output to the log file, great - so how about a resolution now?

CPANEL, get it together please and update your change log page and give us some more answers on this issue and IF we need to be concerned that some of our backups are not working properly and what to do about this and solve the erroneous error messages we are getting.

17. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Does anyone know how to fix these errors?

18. kamm

kamm Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What it the correct syntax to exclude folders globally?

I tried...
    public_html/cache
    but that doesn't seem to work?

19. gdromig

gdromig Member
    PartnerNOC

I have had to add the dot slash to the beginning of the file names:

./public_html/shopping/cache

That has worked for me.

gdr

20. kamm

kamm Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Regarding excluding backups globally in the:
    Code:
    /etc/cpbackup-exclude.conf
    I haven't had success excluding directories globally. :(

I've tried both with and without the dot slash.

eg...
    public_html/cache
    and
    ./public_html/cache

However, excluding files and directories locally with the user's cpbackup-exclude.conf (with the dot slash) works fine.

[cPanel 11.24.4-C34700 - WHM 11.24.2 - X 3.9]