The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error on DNS report

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by wipl_piyush, May 11, 2004.

1. wipl_piyush

wipl_piyush Well-Known Member

I got the following output on checking my Main domain of the server on www.dnsreports.com.

Any idea what does that mean and how to resolve it.

FAIL Lame nameservers ERROR: You have one or more lame nameservers. These are nameservers that do NOT answer authoritatively for your domain. This is bad; for example, these nameservers may never get updated. The following nameservers are lame:
    xx.xx.xx.xx

FAIL Missing (stealth) nameservers FAIL: You have one or more missing (stealth) nameservers. The following nameserver(s) are listed (at your nameservers) as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the the parent nameservers (therefore, they may or may not get used, depending on whether your DNS servers return them in the authority section for other requests, per RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these stealth nameservers are working; if they are not responding, you may have serious problems! The DNS Report will not query these servers, so you need to be very careful that they are working properly.

ns2.domain.com.
    ns1.domain.com.

This is listed as an ERROR because there are some cases where nasty problems can occur (if the TTLs vary from the NS records at the root servers and the NS records point to your own domain, for example).

2. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

You have a mis-configured dns server that is supposed to be serving for the domain.

3. wipl_piyush

wipl_piyush Well-Known Member

Hello Cris,

Thanks for the reply.....but any words ho w could i make it correct....can u tell me where i could set th TTL time and other referesh values used in the dns conf file.

4. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In WHM under "dns functions" edit a dns zone.