[error] PHP Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module

joana

Well-Known Member
Sep 29, 2001
103
0
316
Just rebuilt Apache with php 4.3.3 couple of days back and now all php seems to stop working randomly..
Many times, the php websites will show errors and the following error in the error_log..

[error] PHP Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module

Any idea? :confused:
 

joana

Well-Known Member
Sep 29, 2001
103
0
316
Still not working and no answer from Cpanel support..

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: 29999
 

joana

Well-Known Member
Sep 29, 2001
103
0
316
Originally posted by goal
Check Google - this doesn't look like a cPanel specific problem.
I did but it only appeared after apache upgrade from Cpanel and none of the other servers are affected..
 

Vegas D

Member
May 4, 2002
10
0
301
Originally posted by joana
Just rebuilt Apache with php 4.3.3 couple of days back and now all php seems to stop working randomly..
Many times, the php websites will show errors and the following error in the error_log..

[error] PHP Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module

Any idea? :confused:

I am having this exact same issue. I've been racking my brain now 2.5 days on this issue. I have a few sites that are intermitantly down due to this issue. Additionally our Data Center has been of very little help as I've had a Ticket open with them now for 2.5 days and no resolution.

This is definately a show stopper issue and needs to be resolved quickly.

Here's what was recently done with our server:

1. Ran Easyapache to install some features.
Included the following:
a. GD
b. IMAP Module
c. PHP 4.3.3
d. cURL SSL Support

Since then we have been having this issue with the session_start() function.

Lastly, after Apache compiled we had to copy some files around in order for Apache to even start.

copied the following from /usr/local/cpanel/apache/
into the following folder: /usr/local/apache/libexec/

mod_bwlimited.so
mod_log_bytes.so
mod_auth_passthrough.so

These files were missing after Apache compiled. Also had to remove those dang CORE.***** files.

That's all I can think of at this time.

Any help from anyone would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

D
 

joana

Well-Known Member
Sep 29, 2001
103
0
316
Re: Re: [error] PHP Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module

BEEN 12 DAYS and the ticket with Cpanel is still OPEN and no one cared to respond to it..

We have similar issues with missing files after easyapache on other servers as well.



Originally posted by Vegas D
I am having this exact same issue. I've been racking my brain now 2.5 days on this issue. I have a few sites that are intermitantly down due to this issue. Additionally our Data Center has been of very little help as I've had a Ticket open with them now for 2.5 days and no resolution.

This is definately a show stopper issue and needs to be resolved quickly.

Here's what was recently done with our server:

1. Ran Easyapache to install some features.
Included the following:
a. GD
b. IMAP Module
c. PHP 4.3.3
d. cURL SSL Support

Since then we have been having this issue with the session_start() function.

Lastly, after Apache compiled we had to copy some files around in order for Apache to even start.

copied the following from /usr/local/cpanel/apache/
into the following folder: /usr/local/apache/libexec/

mod_bwlimited.so
mod_log_bytes.so
mod_auth_passthrough.so

These files were missing after Apache compiled. Also had to remove those dang CORE.***** files.

That's all I can think of at this time.

Any help from anyone would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

D
 

Vegas D

Member
May 4, 2002
10
0
301
Still have not resolved this issue and neither has VenturesOnline.

Does anyone know how to revert back to an older version of Apache we upped from 1.3.28 to 1.3.29. would like to try and go back to .28 version with PHP 4.3.2 and see what happens then.

Thanks in Advance,

D
 

bonnmac

Well-Known Member
Apr 26, 2003
101
0
166
I'd like to know also. Server was running great until I used easyapache to upgrade to 1.3.29 Now alot of my scripts are returning errors like the following: Appears to be a permissions problem with /tmp ??

Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp/sess_ccc807c76144ae4ddf2829ce93340fee, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/esupport/admin/index.php on line 98

Warning: session_write_close(): open(/tmp/sess_ccc807c76144ae4ddf2829ce93340fee, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/esupport/admin/index.php on line 123

Warning: session_write_close(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/esupport/admin/index.php on line 123
 

joana

Well-Known Member
Sep 29, 2001
103
0
316
Welcome to the club..
Have a ticket with Cpanel for more than 2 weeks now and no resolution from them.


Originally posted by bonnmac
I'd like to know also. Server was running great until I used easyapache to upgrade to 1.3.29 Now alot of my scripts are returning errors like the following: Appears to be a permissions problem with /tmp ??

Warning: session_start(): open(/tmp/sess_ccc807c76144ae4ddf2829ce93340fee, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/esupport/admin/index.php on line 98

Warning: session_write_close(): open(/tmp/sess_ccc807c76144ae4ddf2829ce93340fee, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/esupport/admin/index.php on line 123

Warning: session_write_close(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in /home/xxxxxx/public_html/esupport/admin/index.php on line 123
 

X-Istencedotcom

Well-Known Member
Apr 14, 2003
223
0
166
I dont know how old this is, but we have customers complaining about this, are there absolutely no ideas as to what is causing this?
 

Vegas D

Member
May 4, 2002
10
0
301
Originally posted by X-Istencedotcom
I dont know how old this is, but we have customers complaining about this, are there absolutely no ideas as to what is causing this?

Well so far we have successfully downgraded apache back down to 1.3.28 and to PHP 4.3.2 and the Session_start() function issue seems to have disappeared but now we seem to be having a small issue with phpMyAdmin and 1 client is having an issue that I don't think is directly related to this.

D
 

X-Istencedotcom

Well-Known Member
Apr 14, 2003
223
0
166
I have only one server with broken compiles. All my other boxes dont have broken compiles.

Haha, i found it.

This is what i have in my .htaccess for use with drupal:

# Overload PHP variables:
<IfModule mod_php4.c>
php_value register_globals 0
php_value track_vars 1
php_value short_open_tag 1
php_value magic_quotes_gpc 0
php_value magic_quotes_runtime 0
php_value magic_quotes_sybase 0
php_value arg_separator.output "&amp;"
php_value session.cache_expire 200000
php_value session.gc_maxlifetime 200000
php_value session.cookie_lifetime 2000000
php_value session.auto_start 0
php_value session.save_handler files
php_value session.cache_limiter none
php_value allow_call_time_pass_reference On
# php_value session.save_path /home/personal/public_html/temp
</IfModule>
Now, session.save_handler was set to "user" which is incorrect, so it didnt work.

Setting it to files suddenly made my site work, so i am going to check php.ini.

Checked all my php.ini's, set them all correctly, and i believe it did the trick. At least our support tickets have mostly been closed by the customer about this.
 
Last edited:

tomsyer

Active Member
Aug 5, 2003
26
0
151
After hours a buddy of mine spent 2 secs and thought to chmod /tmp to 777 and it works
he just typed
chmod 777 /tmp

-Tom
 

mousepotatoe

Active Member
Dec 17, 2003
36
0
156
EASY FIX FOR /tmp errors "failed: Permission denied"

Thank you Tom!
After jumping through hoops, reinstalling everything repeatedly and killing hours and hours of valuable time...
running chmod 777 /tmp fixed all my problems.

Thank you for sharing this information.

Happy New Year!

Steve a/k/a MousePotatoE



Originally posted by tomsyer
After hours a buddy of mine spent 2 secs and thought to chmod /tmp to 777 and it works
he just typed
chmod 777 /tmp

-Tom
 

Attachments

nihonjintaylor

Registered
Aug 5, 2003
1
0
151
I have been getting problems like the one's listed above...

as well as the thing GD
not working...

could anyone coach me through this?