[error] PHP Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module

LVWH

Dec 14, 2002
Resurfaced Issue...

Seems this issue has now resurfaced.

Error is:

Last time we had this come up we reverted back to Apache 1.3.28 and it appeared to have fixed the problem. now it is back again. Cannot figure out why. Did anyone else come up with a fix of their own for this.

D - Vegas-D

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: 35533

tomsyer

Aug 5, 2003
Re: Resurfaced Issue...

From Shell type
chmod 777 /tmp

This should fix the issue
Originally posted by LVWH
Seems this issue has now resurfaced.

Error is:

Last time we had this come up we reverted back to Apache 1.3.28 and it appeared to have fixed the problem. now it is back again. Cannot figure out why. Did anyone else come up with a fix of their own for this.

D - Vegas-D

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: 35533

LVWH

Dec 14, 2002
Re: Re: Resurfaced Issue...

I wish it was that easy.

This was not a permission denied error.

This is what my /tmp looks like and it has current session files in it.

drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 28672 Jan 16 07:31 tmp/

The issue is intermittant and is not directly reproduceable. If I hit refresh a handful of times I will most likely get the error within about 20 refreshes. sometime more, sometimes less though. Seems to be no method to the madness.

Thanks for the reply Tom

Darrel

Originally posted by tomsyer
From Shell type
chmod 777 /tmp

This should fix the issue

Vegas D

May 4, 2002
Re: solves

Originally posted by registerpol
LVWH

Did you solve this problem ?
No this problem has not been solved. It comes and goes and cannot associate anything to this. It happens both when load is high as well as when it is low.

If anyone has figured this one out please let us know.

Thanks,

LVWH

Vegas D

May 4, 2002
This issue still exists and no resolution has been found. The fine folks at cPanel simply closed my ticket with no explanation (seems typical) and appears to be something happening to servers all over the place, not just a few.

Anyways I just thought I would update this ticket real quick.

Cheers,

Vegas D

scwood

Registered
May 31, 2002
I am having this same problem:

Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module.

Any solution to this yet?

tomsyer

Aug 5, 2003
Originally posted by scwood
I am having this same problem:

Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module.

Any solution to this yet?
/tmp may be full or not have the ability to be wrote to

ahs

Registered
Jun 30, 2004
same problem

we are also having problems, cPanel is responding, but not much happening yet... but I also have a feeling with this beeing some privelege problems with the /tmp folder, but we're not sure.

The problem happens out of the blue - to allt domains and pages that use sessions.... at the same time, and then - later - goes away....

This is definately a problem with cPanel though.

Sep 4, 2003
we are also seeing this problem:

Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module: user (path: /tmp) in /home/<username>/public_html/_inc/user_manage.php on line 28

on php 4.3.3, tried upgrading to 4.3.7 but still remains

ahs

Registered
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by 10101
we are also seeing this problem:

Fatal error: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module: user (path: /tmp) in /home/<username>/public_html/_inc/user_manage.php on line 28

on php 4.3.3, tried upgrading to 4.3.7 but still remains

Yes, I haven't still found a sollution, have tried upgrading everything, changed rights/usersowns, logging these errors extensively and i've even changed the session save path to a different one but the error just continues on that path... very strange error.

cPanel is my nr1. suspect. Either that or Fantastico, you aren't by any chance using fantastico, are you?

Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by ahs
Yes, I haven't still found a sollution, have tried upgrading everything, changed rights/usersowns, logging these errors extensively and i've even changed the session save path to a different one but the error just continues on that path... very strange error.

cPanel is my nr1. suspect. Either that or Fantastico, you aren't by any chance using fantastico, are you?
I am using fantastico too, what is odd is we have several servers and this is the only one affected.

Vegas D

May 4, 2002
Originally posted by 10101
I am using fantastico too, what is odd is we have several servers and this is the only one affected.
I don't have have Fantastico and I too have this issue. I now also have a new server and am having the issue on both servers. I am going to try a few things on another new server and see if I can't come up with a resolution to this as it is a real pain in my butt!

Cheers,

Vegas D

ahs

Registered
Jun 30, 2004
This is not only a pain in the but for us. We have lots of clients who are now starting to complain about this. We have to switch from cPanel to something else right away, or we start losing money fast.

btw. cPanels technical support is technically disabled.

Darren

cPanel Developer
Staff member
Dec 26, 2001
Houston, TX
This is not a cPanel bug..

Just FYI to ahs and others:

This is not a bug caused by cPanel. Currently the PHP developers are aware that this happens but have no solid fix for it yet, even after many months of trying.

http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=25876

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...lize+storage+module:+user"&btnG=Google+Search

We have tried looking into it ourselves but seeing as how even the php developers can not fix it, I'm afraid our chances are not much better.

Hopefully it will be fixed for good at some point. Until then I would try some of the workarounds people have mentioned across multiple forums, mailing lists and in the bug report(s) (apparaently there are duplicate reports on the issue.)

Miquel

Jan 19, 2004
The Netherlands
Temporarely solution

I also recieved several session errors lately. A temporarely solutions seems to run the following SSH command in /tmp once in awhile till there's a bugfix.

rm sess_*

(to delete all sessions.)

Scripts like phpPgAdmin works succesfully now. I have the feeling php doesn't clean the session.files after awhile when they aren't used anymore. This way the /tmp folder will be filled with useless files and no new files can't be created because there's no space left.

I might be wrong but maybe this info is usefull for the developers and other users.

drhonk

Aug 12, 2001
I had the same problem and was able to fix it. Open your /usr/local/lib/php.ini and make sure you use the following setting:

session.save_handler files
magic_quotes_gpc On

If you have those set but still having the same problem. Go the web root of that particular vhost that is having problem and set it in its .htaccess

php_value session.save_handler files
php_value magic_quotes_gpc 1

If you change your php.ini settings, don't forget to restart your apache.

Miquel

Jan 19, 2004
The Netherlands
Another solution:

Disable register_globals in /usr/local/lib/php.ini (change On to Off)
Setting this On is a security risk and since php has changed sessions using $_SESSION instead of session.register I figured it's best to change along.

In case you still need this to be on for a particular domain edit the .htaccess file in public_html and add the following line:

php_flag register_globals on

However since php has changed the usage of sessions it might be better to start programming the new way.

------ additional info ------

Also start your session like this:
ini_set('session.save_handler', 'files');
session_start();

It's not how it should be but this seems to work fine for now.

For more info see:
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=25876
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=25753

Last edited:

HostIt

Feb 22, 2003
This has just started happening for me also, since updating to PHP 4.3.10. Any new ideas for a fix? /tmp is set fine, and has plenty of space, and session.save_handler etc is already set in php.ini as above.

anton_latvia

PartnerNOC
May 11, 2004
Latvia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
We are getting the same error for the last few days-weeks. Although it is not permanent and most pages are working, just sometimes it breaks. Permissions and everything other are ok. We also have upgraded Apache recently. Any ideas?