The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ERROR: The nameserver you chose may not be a valid nameserver

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by the_Dsigner, May 5, 2015.

1. the_Dsigner

the_Dsigner Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I finally got my private nameserver to work after a week of wrestling to fix stuff. I used the domain sample.org for NS/Hostname/First Cpanel account.

My nameservers are ns1 and ns2.sample.org while my hostname is test.sample.org.

I setup a new Cpanel account under the domain sample.org and added the A records for each NS. After 24hrs when I go to intoDNS and run a scan its pretty much green across the board, my nameservers are picked up and are providing the correct IP to my dedicated server, the parent DNS is showing my NS, and they are also showing registered correctly. I pinged the Ns's,hostname and primary domain and they all function correctly.

I decided to create a second Cpanel account and bring in another one of my domains I own. I logged into my registrar and then input the two new NS's of mine and when I try to change I keep getting an error saying that they are not valid....? How can that be if they work correctly for my primary domain and even are showing up as being registered and cached with intoDNS?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

How long ago did you create the name servers? Is it a different domain registrar? Are you sure you created the name servers at the domain registrar with the appropriate IP addresses?

Thank you.

3. the_Dsigner

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi Michael,

I created them last week. Its the same domain registrar. Yes The NS1 & NS2, hostname and primary domain on my first cpanel account are all associated by the domain sample.org

NS: ns1.sample.org, ns2.sample.org
    Hostname: server1.sample.org
    First & Primary Cpanel account sample.org

If I do a intoDNS check its green and there are no errors. I did ping of the NS, and domain. They all come back working
    I went into the SSH and did a dig +short @localhost $HOSTNAME and it comes back with the proper Main IP

I checked the conf and nameserversips files. They are correct. Its just any domain that isn't sample.org won't allow its nameserver to be changed to ns1 or ns2.sample.org. It claims its either not registered or not valid. But I have confirmed with my registrar that they are on the registered DNS list.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Where are you getting the error? Details are always important.

Try this:
    Home »Server Configuration »Tweak Settings, Domains tab;
    Enable that option, and then try adding the domain to your server. Disable that setting again afterward.

Does that help?

5. the_Dsigner

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Sorry for the long Delay. So it turns out my registrar sent me a support ticket message informing that they indeed registered my private name servers, when in fact after asking them to double check the tech didn't do what he said and they were not registered at the time. Everything is working now.

Thank you very much for all your time everybody!

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator