The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error under perl < 5.6.1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gushi, Jun 19, 2005.

1. gushi

gushi Member

Error under perl < 5.6.1 (FreeBSD 4.x)

Hey all...I just figured I'd post a problem we occasionally have with freebsd 4.x installs, and the solution.

Creating directory installd

Verifying archive integrity... All good.

Uncompressingcplyr1-cPanel...............................................................
    ............................................................................

ELF binary type "0" not known.

Abort trap

/usr/libexec/elf/strings: /boot/System.map*: No such file or
    directory

Too many arguments for open at ./install line 635, near "$file)"

Execution of ./install aborted due to compilation errors.

The solution, we've found, is to upgrade perl to at least 5.6.1, using the ports or packages system.

with ports, it can be done via:

cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5
    make install
    rehash (may not be needed, depending on your shell)
    use.perl port

then proceed with the install as normal.

#1 gushi, Jun 19, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2005
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Since this is clearly OS specific and since your're using ports, I'm going to assume FreeBSD, which version are you installing on? I recently did a v5.3 install with a minimum build and had no such problems.

3. gushi

gushi Member

Chirpy, yes. However, this error only shows up under FreeBSD 4. I will edit it shortly to be more specific. I was mentioning it here just so others could solve the problem, since a quick search didn't show anyone having the same issue.

Background:

In BSD 4.x, perl 5.00503 was part of the "base system". The included version was never upgraded because certain OS scripts got killed by the fact that perl changed the arguments required for certain commands. However, 5.x was always available as a port. (installed as below). In BSD 5 those OS scripts were decoupled and written in C.

In BSD 5.x, perl is installed at version 5.6.1.

I must have neglected to mention that I was using FreeBSD. I reasonably believe this error would also occur under any other OS that happened to be using an old perl (none exist).

Since I am only a sysadmin (i.e. I work for a cpanel distributor) and not an end-licensee, I have not opened up a support request on this.

4. brentp

brentp Well-Known Member

Upgrade your perl, i had someone in #cpanel irc with that problem. We upgraded to 5.8.6 and it worked. Note: 5.8 is in ports so i suggest you update them.

Regards,
    Brent

5. gushi

gushi Member

I already discovered this. I was posting it (with the solution) so that anyone else would find it as well, since the error about the number of arguments to "open" is rather cryptic.

Would it not be too hard to have the installer do a perl -v and spit out an error?