The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error When Trying to Change Password

Discussion in 'Security' started by sraquaristik, Jan 2, 2015.

1. sraquaristik

sraquaristik Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am trying to change my password on CPanel & I get an error saying "There was an error manipulating the password file. This generally means you entered your old password incorrectly." When I click on the "Show Raw Password Change", it says "passwd: Authentication token manipulation error.". I am a CPanel newbie so not sure what to do? I need to change my password because we have a 3rd party developer assisting us with some work on our website. Thank you!

2. MilesWeb

MilesWeb Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Looking at the error & looking for a solution for it over internet, it looks like your web host needs to make a few permission changes on the server from command prompt.

If you are on a shared web hosting, contact them for it.

If you have root access to the server, try considering the solution at http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/cant-change-password-via-cpanel-69755.html

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Please contact your web hosting provider for assistance with this issue. You will not be able to resolve the error message without root access to the server.

Thank you.