Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Error_Log Empty --- The main one: /usr/local/apache/logs

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by ToddW, Apr 20, 2014.

1. ToddW

ToddW Well-Known Member

/usr/local/apache/logs/error_log was about 250mb, I had it set to rotate at 300mb. Seeing as most of it was old / before server was in use (idle for 6mo) I wanted to clear it out, and start fresh.

4/20/2014
    1) Remove "error_log" file from above location.
    2) Create empty "error_log" file in above location.
    3) make sure permissions were same as before (-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 20 11:07 error_log)
    4) Restart cPanel to make sure it goes in affect to start up again in case it errored out attempting to write when the file was missing for a few seconds. (service cpanel restart)

I then visited a couple "Missing" pages that will throw a 404 in the 'error_log' file, and nothing. I can't get any error to show up, and I know there should be some written numerous times per-minute. (Hosting a # of popular sites.)

How can I get the usr/local/apache/logs/error_log ENABLED and working again, seems odd it stopped?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ToddW

ToddW Well-Known Member

And now it's randomly started writing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. m@!

m@! Registered

cPanel automatically creates it's own error log. No need to create it yourself. In-fact, that could have been part of the problem to begin with.

4. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

It's also not necessary to restart cPanel. A simple restart of Apache should be all that is needed.

Code:
    # /scripts/restartsrv_httpd