The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

errors after changing password

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by MouseSA, Feb 21, 2011.

1. MouseSA

MouseSA Registered

Feb 21, 2011
    Hi all

Ok the story goes, I am using joomla with added virtuemart and Cpanel to host my site, i wanted to changed my password and when i did it gave me the following error.....

Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL

i then changed my password back to what it was and it worked again. I then changed my password and didnt tick Allow MySQL password change. Now everything is complete chaos.

My prices are wrong, editing that was done to take null prices gone, fix shipping batches, etc, gone.

to me it looks like it has reverted back to a week agos DB but everything is completely whack.

We have changed passwords back with no luck.

Does anyone have any idea's what could have gone wrong and how to fix it.

Please i am desperate.
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Changing the password wouldn't change the database itself. Please check the connection string is connecting to the correct database and isn't using your main cPanel username account for the connection.

Normally, you'd use a created user in cPanel > MySQL Databases area that you add to the database for the database user to use for the connection. The connection strings for the MySQL database user and password for Joomla are typically located in the configuration.php file.

I'm wondering if somehow you have it connecting to an older database (possibly some backup) rather than your current database due to the connection string being incorrect.

Alternatively, if that is not the issue and you do not administer the machine, you may want to have your hosting provider check into the issue as maybe something happened on the server itself around the time that you were changing the password.