Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

/etc directory screwed up????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unite the cows, Nov 11, 2002.

1. unite the cows

unite the cows Active Member

Ok so today something happened to my machine and all the sudden the /etc directory seems to be the exact same as the /bin directory!!! does anyone have any ideas on what I can do??? I have no clue what i can do, please email me with any help. ctips@vt.edu. Thank you so much.

2. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:7d661c89ea][i:7d661c89ea]Originally posted by unite the cows[/i:7d661c89ea]

Ok so today something happened to my machine and all the sudden the /etc directory seems to be the exact same as the /bin directory!!! does anyone have any ideas on what I can do??? I have no clue what i can do, please email me with any help. ctips@vt.edu. Thank you so much.[/quote:7d661c89ea]

The /etc and /bin directory are on the same partition. The filesystem was probably trashed (bad ide/scsi controller, bad hd, kernel bug, bad cpu, or bad ram) and /bin and /etc got relinked to the same inode by fsck or some other means. You might be able to fix this with debugfs.