The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/etc/spammeripblocks - How large can the file get before things go ca-ca?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mctDarren, Mar 23, 2013.

1. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I wrote a couple rules that fail2ban uses to throw IPs of hammering spammers into /etc/spammeripblocks. I've been sitting here watching it tack an IP every few minutes into that file, which I assume is what Exim checks at the connection stage (and drops). Theoretically, this is better than waiting for spam, virus checks and delivery before dropping connection, correct?

But as I sit here watching that file fill up, I am wondering if I am fighting a huge, fire-breathing dragon with a paperclip and this is going to burn me in the end.. Anyone know if there is a (1) limit to that file's size and (2) a point where Exim will degrade in performance because of this check?

2. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    There is no limit.

It will probably start falling apart at 10k or so depending on the server's specs.

3. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks Nick, reached 1,000 IPs this morning and keeps climbing, and Exim doesn't seem to be blinking much. But it is the weekend. Do spammers take off Sundays? :) So far so good!