The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/etc/valiases being overwritten when adding forwarder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riffer, Jun 24, 2004.

1. riffer

riffer Member

When I add a forwarder in cpanel, it is supposed to write to a file that corresponds to the domain within /etc/valiases/, but for some reason, if you try to add a forwarder, it deletes EVERYTHING in this file instead.

This happened after an update to WHM 9.4.0 cPanel 9.4.1-S56 - previously it was WHM 9.4.0 cPanel 9.4.1-R21 and I did this to fix the redirect for domain.com/cpanel (which does now work) so I would not have to disable suexec. I even tried going back to the release version (R55, I believe it was) and that still did not solve this problem.

The cpanel GUI says it was successfully added, but when you view the forwarders, it is blank. I was able to rescue the file from a backup and insert it manually into the domain's file in /etc/valiases and that restored the functionality.

I checked the file perms and they are correct and I've rebuilt exim with /scripts/updatenow and /scripts/exim4 and restarted cpanel and exim, all to no avail. I've searched through the forums and tried some of the suggestions (although, none I found had these exact symptoms).

I'm not out of space, either...

Anyone have any ideas? I have no problem doing this manually, but there is sure to be a mess when some of the domains on this box try to add forwards to their domains...

Thanks...

2. Stephanie_R

Stephanie_R Active Member

I have exactly the same issue with this we are using (R 55)
    In some cases the file /etc/valiases/domain.com is not written to or it either wipes the file completely or deletes it.
    All permissions are fine and restoring from a backup resolves this.
    It then goes on to function normally.
    Ideas anyone ??

3. scooterharris

scooterharris Member

Having this same problem here on a server any idea of the fix?

CP-Version: 9.9.8-STABLE_6

Scooter

4. headout

headout Well-Known Member

I know, it's an old topic, but when using the searchfunctionality i saw this topic. There are no (are just two or three) similar topics.

We have the same issue:
    permissions and ownerships on /etc/valiases/domain.com are correct. When adding a forwarder, it completely wipe out all of the earlier made forwarders, and we just see a blank /etc/valiases/domain.com file....

/scripts/fixvaliases does not solve it
    /scripts/eximup --force: not solving
    /scripts/upcp --force: not solving

Info: WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.9.0-R139 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE i386 - WHM X v3.1.0