The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/etc/valiases/domainname.com gone missing every night

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by chibiricky, Jan 23, 2008.

1. chibiricky

chibiricky Registered

I am having some problem with my email forwarders. MyDomain.com is my main domain that I used to register at my VPS provider and had the WHM & cPanel set up. Since 21 Jan, every night my /etc/valises/MyDomain.com disappeared, but all other files in this directory remain in place. As this is the file which hold the email forwarders info, when this file is not there, all mail sent to Mydomain.com will be bounced back with an error message "Unrouteable address". Every morning I have to restore the file to get my email to work again. Do you have any idea why the file would disappear every night? Here are some info about the timing:

22 Jan
    Last successfully sent email: 21 Jan 23:20
    First unrouteable email: 22 Jan 03:01

23 Jan
    Last successfully sent email: 22 Jan 22:15
    First unrouteable email: 23 Jan 01:31

24 Jan
    Last successfully sent email: 24 Jan 02:00
    First unrouteable email: 22 Jan 02:54

I found another thread saying if the account quota is full or nearly full, this may happen (am I right?), but the disk usage is far below the quota (<10%). Any one has any clue?

Thanks!

2. cessnaman

cessnaman Registered
    PartnerNOC

Same thing happens to us, any answers to this?

3. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I saw this once on a VPS we host - it was because the customer set their VPS hostname to a domain that was already configured on an account on their server. I corrected the issue by chancing their server hostname to server.theirdomain.com, and then changing their account's domain to something else, then changing it back.

4. kayode

kayode Registered

Hi Vanessa,

I just came accross you comment to an issue am experiencing with my hosting.

I have VPS Server with WHM/Cpanel and You'll have to excuse me know knowledge is limited in this area, so i'll probably be asking question which might appear silly.

You mentioned 2 things i your post
    1) "Change server hostname to server.theirdomain.com" - can you please direct me as to where specifically
    2) "Changing their account's domain to something else.." - can you please direct me as to where specifically

I'll appreciate your support. Thanks

Regards,
    Kayode

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To see the hostname on a machine and ensure it is not the same as a cPanel account on the machine, you'd run this command:

Code:
    hostname -f
    Next, to properly change the hostname, you'd need to do that in WHM > Networking Setup > Change Hostname area and change it there. The hostname should be server.maindomain.com where maindomain.com is the main domain on the machine and server is a subdomain off of that name (the hostname cannot be an already existing subdomain on an account on the machine).

After making this change, you can simply run /scripts/updateuserdomains to see if the domain that was previously not working now shows the right ownership using this command:

Code:
    /scripts/whoowns maindomain.com
    The reason why maindomain.com will not work if it was set as the hostname is that the hostname on the machine is owned by the user nobody under cPanel setup. This means you cannot then have that same domain as an account on the machine owned by another user, since nobody controls it and that other user won't then be able to properly work for email services.