/etc/vdomainaliases stealing email

ladydi711

Sep 4, 2001
Hi,

I hope I can explain this correctly.

I have an account on my server, but have deleted the domain zone file for it as it is managed elsewhere, and I am not hosting it's email.

However, when trying to send an email to a valid email address for the domain from my server, it seems that it is getting caught by my server as a domain forwarder.

2017-03-17 09:40:04 1cot2y-00025I-Kh ** [email protected] <[email protected]> R=virtual_aliases: No such person at this address.

There is an empty file in /etc/vdomainaliases/hisdomain.com.

Is the solution to delete that so I can send him mail from my server? Or is there a more elegant way through cPanel/WHM.

Thanks In Advance!!

Jcats

PartnerNOC
May 25, 2011
New Jersey
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
The problem is the server thinks its a local domain meaning its trying to route email sent locally from the server to the same server, its not bothering to check the MX record since the domain resides on the server.

Remote the domain from

/etc/localdomains

and add the domain to

/etc/remotedomains

You'll be good to go.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

You'll need to re-create the zone file for the domain name, as that's where the email routing configuration is stored. Once you have created the zone, browse to "WHM >> Edit DNS Zone", select the domain name, and edit the "Email Routing" settings to use "Remote Mail Exchanger".

Thank you.