The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/etc/vmail files not being created

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by knitemare, Oct 25, 2007.

1. knitemare

knitemare Member

Currently using WHM 11.2.0 and cPanel 11.11.0-S16999

I upgraded cPanel a month or two ago.

I created a new domain for someone about a week ago and they were having issues getting into Horde and Squirrelmail. I figured out the issue, none of the files that should have been in /etc/vmail were created and none of the symbolic links were there.

I thought it was a fluke at first, but I just tried creating a dummy host to see what happened and the files in /etc/vmail were not created.

What configuration file is used to direct cPanel to create the files in that directory? I need to be absolutely sure that everything is as it is supposed to be. None of the permissions on the directory have been changed.

2. knitemare

knitemare Member

OK, looks like part of my problem is that I'm still using mbox and need to convert to maildir. Is there a script for cpanel that will convert everything for me?

Also, I saw someone else post that since converting they have had exim crashes and all kinds of other problems. Is that happening to anyone else? I don't want to convert to a broken system.

3. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Converting from mdir to mailbox is not always a flawless process. However, if you are patient, it usually works out okay.

/scripts/convert2maildir is the script

Once you start a conversion, be VERY patient - Depending on the amount of mail that sits in mailboxes on the server, it could take 10 minutes to 10-20 hours to convert. And when you start the conversion, you will not have active email for your customers. So do this at a time that is inconvenient for you but convenient for your customers (probably early AM hours).

If you run the script and it completes, you should run it again and tell it to convert any mailboxes that were not previously converted. You _may_ have to do that a few times.

NOTE: Once you switch to maildir, people who use Webmail or IMAP will find that they are no longer subscribed to their folders. So they will be complaining that they have lost mail, when in fact all they need to do is resubscribe to the folders within the webmail interface or within their IMAP client. Their mail will be on teh server, but they may not see the folders to view the mail (other than Inbox mail) unless they resubscribe to their other folders.

Before you proceed, what version of Cpanel are you running rihgt now? (look in top right corner of WHM). If it were me, I'd probably make sure and update to the latest build (if you use RELEASE, then update to the latest RELEASE version, etc.). Then do the maildir conversion. Then probably for good measure afterwards, you might want to do a /scripts/upcp --force and/or a /scripts/courierup --force - but then again, you may only want to do that if you can't get things working again.

Along with the maildir change you'll be switched to courier and will no longer be using cppop. So some thigns can happen.

I recommend that if you have support through the place where you purchased your cpanel license, that you have their contact information handy and be ready to enlist their help if something goes wrong - because their support folks have had much experience resolving any issues that arrive after a maildir conversion and can probably get it fixed right up for you afterswards if you encounter problems.

With that said, I will tell you my experience. Aside from users having to resubscribe to folders (which isn't a big problem beacuse we always recommend that customers use POP3 - we tell them we aren't a webmail service), everything went very smoothly. At the time we had a few GB of mail stored on the server that needed to get converted, and I think the whole process only took about 15 minutes.... but your mileage may vary.

The whole system runs better using maildir. One of our biggest problmes with mbox format was the fact that we had a few clients who would POP mail ever minute or 30 seconds (excessive, but we knew this when we signed them up and were alright with it). And they receive SO much mail during the day that often new mail would come in for one of their email addresses while they were popping it. This caused problems because the mbox would be locked for POP3 when an incoming mail came in, and so that mail would be deferred in the queue and sometimes spend hours in there before it was actually delivered to the mailbox. Once we switched to maildir format, that problem went away and all mail is delivered quickly to the customer mailboxes.

NOTE 2: If any of your customers use Neomail, they will not have that option afterwards. Neomail does not work with maildir format on Cpanel servers. It will be removed during the maildir conversion process. Any addresses that people have stored in neomail address books would have to be manually obtained from the leftover neomail files in the account's directory and the customer would need to add those address book items into Horde if they wanted an address book.

As mentioned above - have your support contacts in front of you and be ready to open a support ticket as soon as you have a problem so that those responsible for supporting your cpanel can handle it in a timely fashion. If you do NOT have your license through Cpanel directly, you should possibly think about contacting the people who support your Cpanel beforehand and ask them if somebody will be available to handle any potential Cpanel ticket during the day/hours that you will be performing the maildir conversion.

Mike

4. knitemare

knitemare Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to have a tough time scheduling this with the uncertain timeframe. I'm always available to work through the night, but the maintenance window starts at midnight. If the conversion were to take 12 hours that would put a bunch of businesses out of morning email and that could cause some issues. This might have to be a Saturday into Sunday project. Again, thanks for the info, very helpful.

5. alex.lucas

alex.lucas Member

It looks like the problem is not mbox. I've got servers with mbox and maildir and they have the same problem.

6. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The problem with /etc/vmail was fixed in the most recent builds of Current and EDGE. Check the change log for build 17780

Once Release and then Stable are rebuilt, they will have the fix. (no ETA)

7. myrealite

myrealite Member

Upgraded but nothing is changed

I upgraded my Cpanel to
    WHM11.11.0 cPanel 11.15.0-R18033
    WHMX v3.1.0 version.

I have created a new domain, but again I have not seen the files under /etc/vmail.

Is there a way to add vmail files manually for the created domains?
    My new clients are just checking their emails over POP3, they are not using webmail because of this bug.

Old clients are using webmail without problem. I deep into the forum threads and saw that the reason not to check emails over webmail is the uncreated files under /etc/vmail.

Looking forward to recommend, help for this issue...

Thanks in Advance.

8. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Run /scripts/updateuserdomains