Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

EV SSL - cPanel vs Comodo

Discussion in 'Security' started by Reado, Nov 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Reado

Reado Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Our GoDaddy EV SSL certificate is due to expire next year. GoDaddy has quoted a shocking £230 for 2 years and I say shocking because I did not know I could order EV SSL certificates from within cPanel at a greatly reduced rate!

However, within cPanel, it gives two options. Signed by cPanel for $120 or signed by Comodo for $216. Both options are for 2 years, but why the huge price difference?

The cPanel SSL/TLS Wizard page does not give any helpful insights as to the difference between the two products and the clickable documentation link at the top of the page does not share the differences either.

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @Reado

This is basically just a difference in the CA backing the certificate, both use the same encryption but with the cPanel certificate you're getting cPanel backed by Comodo but the CA name will be noted as cPanel. With the straight Comodo certificate you'll get the CA named as Comodo.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    LucasRolff likes this.