Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Everyone gets written to .spamassassin/auto-whitelist file

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by Tritech, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Tritech

Tritech Registered

Hi,
    I'm seeing some strange behavior that perhaps you can suggest how to fix or at least explain.

I have spamassassin enabled on a user account and a file is automatically being created named:
    ~/.spassassin/auto-whitelist

This file seems to get populated with the e-mail addresses of everyone that ever mails TO this account (including ones which turn out to be spam... not sure if they were scored as spam, though). I do not want this behavior. It would be be fine if the e-mail addresses that I send things to get auto-whitelisted, but not the ones I receive... otherwise spamassassin quickly becomes ineffective.

the only related directive I have in my user_prefs file is:
    whitelist_from *.edu
    But, as I said, every e-mail sender's address ends up in the auto-whitelist file.

How can this be fixed, either at the user level or at the cPanel host level?

Thanks!
    Andrew

2. Tritech

Tritech Registered

How to turn off auto whitelist

No one replied to my post... :(

And I still do not have an explanation of this bogus problem :(

But at least I can post a method to turn off the auto-whitelist that contains all the bogus e-mail addresses:

end-users can include the following line in their
    ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs file:

use_auto_whitelist 0

and then they can delete the existing auto-whitelist file and it will not be recreated.