Excessive processes running under user

Volt55

Feb 20, 2017
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Recently I have been getting lots of these email warning messages (about 3 daily) from LFD:

User:myusername PID:4621 PPID:4609 Run Time:13(secs) Memory:201056(kb) RSS:49632(kb) exe:/opt/cpanel/ea-php56/root/
usr/bin/php-cgi cmd:/opt/cpanel/ea-php56/root/usr/bin/php-cgi
User:myusername PID:4625 PPID:4623 Run Time:12(secs) Memory:271880(kb) RSS:72816(kb) exe:/opt/cpanel/ea-php56/root/usr/bin/php-cgi cmd:/opt/cpanel/ea-php56/root/usr/bin/php-cgi
etc. etc.

The last message I received had about 90 of these listed for the same user but a few other users get it too. There are also 'excessive resource usage' email messages coming through daily although the memory limit is set to 256Mb (it's a decent CentOS Cloud Server with 2 cpus and 6GB RAM).

I'm fairly sure that the code is pretty good and the websites run fairly fast. There is nothing pointing to a specific php file like other users seem to have.

Any ideas what might cause this or how to diagnose things? I have full SSH access.

Dryandra

Registered
Mar 19, 2017
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Check process tracking settings in csf.conf:
grep ^PT_USER /etc/csf/csf.conf

Alert message should contain more detailed information, you did not post it here.

Volt55

Feb 20, 2017
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the reply Dryandra.

No, there are no more details in the alert message, just a lot of similar lines to the ones I gave, all pointing to /opt/cpanel/ea-php56/root/usr/bin/php-cgi

Here are the results of that Grep command:

PT_USERPROC = "10"
PT_USERMEM = "0"
PT_USERRSS = "256"
PT_USERTIME = "0"
PT_USERKILL = "0"
PT_USERKILL_ALERT = "1"
PT_USER_ACTION = ""