The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excessive resource usage: Process Time alert for /usr/bin/php

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fingerprn, Jul 12, 2014.

1. fingerprn

fingerprn Member

I just recently upgraded my VPS server and switched from SuPHP to FCGI. Now I'm getting alerts for all of my accounts like this one.

Time: Sat Jul 12 09:37:36 2014 -0500
    Account: starroo
    Resource: Process Time
    Exceeded: 5443 > 1800 (seconds)
    Executable: /usr/bin/php
    Command Line: /usr/bin/php
    PID: 30818 (Parent PID:30704)
    Killed: No

I usually just set CSF to ignore the alert. However, notice that the command line says /usr/bin/php. If I understand this correctly, if I set this to ignore (if that's even possible) it will ignore ALL PHP scripts. I'd prefer not to do that.

Also, just so you don't think I'm running messy scripts, some of the accounts I'm getting alerts for have no traffic and no PHP scripts running on them. This all started after the upgrade (PHP 5.4.30, Apache 2.2.27 running FCGI).

I've noticed that this particular problem is not unusual -- I've seen other mentions of it on this forum, Stackoverflow and Webhostingtalk -- but no one has posted an answer.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. fingerprn

fingerprn Member

UPDATE: So I increased my server's memory, but that didn't fix the problem. Next, I opened a ticket with my service provider. The first tech guy thought my point was valid about not ignoring all PHP scripts, so he escalated up to the next level. However, the second tech guy just said to set it to ignore, which I finally did.

Seems like CSF would set this to ignore by default if it really isn't important. Over the years I've acquired quite a large list of ignored services on CSF.

What I'm about to discuss is outside of my base of knowledge, but it might explain what's going on. As I mentioned before, this started when I switched to FastCGI (FCGI). The Apache website says, "[FastCGI] starts a sufficient number instances of the CGI program to handle concurrent requests, and these programs remain running to handle further incoming requests."

Is this what's causing the problem? If so, it's certainly sounds like a valid explanation and, in that case, ignoring all PHP scripts would make sense. However, no one has mentioned this in any posts I've seen. Can anyone confirm this theory?

I hope this helps someone else with the same problem.

#2 fingerprn, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I don't see any particular issue with the output you posted. It looks like normal behavior for the process to remain active with FCGI. Please keep in mind that CSF is a third-party application. You may receive more user-feedback on this topic by posting directly to their support forums:

ConfigServer Community Forum - General Discussion (csf)

Thank you.

4. fingerprn

fingerprn Member

Thanks for confirming my theory.

I did check with the CSF community. In April, someone made a post about the same problem I was having, but no one responded.

Thanks again for your time.