The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exchange killer? OpenGroupware.org

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nexthost, Aug 28, 2003.

?

Exchange killer? OpenGroupware.org

1. Exchange is hopefully history !!!

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Too early but cpanel should definitely be looking into it!!!!

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  3. what the hell is OpenGroupware.org?

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. nexthost

nexthost Active Member

Thought i would start a thread to share thoughts onthe OpenGroupware.org movement....

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

OpenGroupware is a good idea in theory, just like Evolution....however this software really only appeals to hardcore Linux/BSD geeks who are M$ haters. Corporations will continue to use Exchange for many more years to come as they have the money and the IT/IS groups to actually setup and configure exchange correctly and they don't have to worry about groups like SCO coming forward and bitching about non-stolen code issues.

Corporations also prefer better safe than sorry and I don't blame them. You don't want to have to wait for an unknown programmer to fix an issue with OpenGroupware when they can get a hold of an engineer at M$ to correct/patch whatever for them. Moreover, Outlook runs pretty damn smooth connected to an Exchange server...you can't expect 100% interoperability with an open source server with a closed source client.

3. nexthost

nexthost Active Member

Extremely well put ciphervendor... i agree and am actually not a microsoft hater, but i truly love the open source shared concept of unlimited # of minds working in unison to solve a problem.

I definitely think microsoft serves a purpose in allowing everyone to have a common platform to work with... and eventually private and open source movements will hopefully be able to work together profitably.

I think we should give our support to those who are trying to make a difference :)

4. pfmartin

pfmartin Well-Known Member

There is already an Exchange killer available. Has been for years. Lotus Notes with Lotus Domino.

Very mature, very stable, used widely AND runs on Linux too.

Check it out, you'll be impressed. Of course... it's not free. But compared to Exchange, it's a deal. No OS license fees...

5. nommo

nommo Member

heya - i am new to cpanel - but have been doing things via command line for a while on my own mandrake box...

groupware is a big thing for our new company, we currently use thunderbird/sunbird/open-office/miranda/skype as essential business tools- opengroupware would be the cherry on the cake

i am wondering - how difficult would it be to install opengroupware on a cpanel reseller account i have?

cheers
    nommo