The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exchange manage all mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by CompufixHosting, Jul 19, 2007.

1. CompufixHosting

CompufixHosting Active Member

I just setup a new cPanel server and I need all mail to be processed through our exchange server. No cPanel accounts will have or need email addresses. I need it to where all mail for root, cpanel, nobody, etc gets routed correctly. As it is now, I get the following error:

Message 1IBewb-00088D-7R is not frozen
    delivering 1IBewb-00088D-7R
    Connecting to walton.blah.blah [10.0.0.202]:25 ... failed: Connection refused
    LOG: MAIN
    walton.blah.blah [10.0.0.202] Connection refused
    Connecting to walton.blah.blah[10.0.0.201]:25 ... failed: Connection refused
    walton.blah.blah [10.0.0.201] Connection refused
    == user.name[at]walton.blah.blah <root@BOE-MYSQL.walton.blah.blah> R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (111): Connection refused

I need to know what I can do to get this working.

Thanks

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

For every Cpanel account that you are having Exchange handle the mail, you need to log into that account's Cpanel interface and change the MX record for each domain so that it points to the hostname of the exchange server.

In the end, if your Cpanel is not handling mail for ANY of its hosted domains (i.e. it is only doing web hosting), you won't have anything except hte local machine name in /etc/localdomains and you will have all of your Exchange-hosted domains listed in /etc/remotedomains

It gets trickier if you are actually performing DNS for those domains somewhere other than on the Cpanel server that is doing the web hosting. Because whatever DNS servers are authoritative for the domain will have to have the zone files edited for all of the domains that you are hosting mail on Exchange - so that you change the mX records to point to the exchange server's hostname.

If all of your DNS is done on the Cpanel machine, then simply logging into each Cpanel account and modifying the MX for all of the pertinent domains so the mX points to the Exchanger server hostname should take care of it.

Mike

3. CompufixHosting

But what about root, nobody's and, cpanels mail from WHM? What can I do to change that to where its routed through exchange.

Thanks

4. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ahh, I don't even want to get into that. Not sure why you would wnat to do that anyway.

But for starters, check /etc/aliases (where you will find mailman aliases) and...

/etc/localaliases

cpanel: admins@forwardeddomain.com
    mailman: cpanel@forwardeddomain.com
    nobody: admins@forwardeddomain.com
    root: admins@forwardeddomain.com

But instead of modifying /etc/localaliases directly, you can log into WHM and then select "Change System Mail Preferences" under the Server Contacts section.

Mike

#4 mtindor, Jul 20, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  5. CompufixHosting

I need to do that because I am not receiving root, nobodys, or cpanel's mail. It is all failing because of the error message I listed above.

6. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yeah, I understood why you wanted to do it AFTER I made the smart@$$ comment (although it wasn't really meant in a smart@$$ way).

Just do what I said in the above message - the part about logging into WHM and going to Change System Mail Preferences under Server Contacts.

Mike

7. CompufixHosting

I already have changed that to match the address I want the mail fowarded to, but the server is unable to send the email out and giving the above error. I believe that in a setting somewhere it needs to be set to route the mail through our exchange server to send the email.

8. CompufixHosting

Nevermind, I figured it out from another thread.

Thanks though