Exclude backing up specific filetype globally with cpbackup-exclude.conf

mvandemar

Jun 17, 2006
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this comes up on top in Google and I really don't see it addressed elsewhere. The examples in the documentation for cpbackup-exclude.conf all appear to do with directories. If I want to exclude all of a specific filetype globally on an account, will this syntax work?

Code:
*.mp3
*.tar.gz
*.zip
Thank you.

-Michael

mvandemar

Jun 17, 2006
I read the documentation, as indicated in my post. I wasn't totally clear on it though. Why, for instance, do the file specific exclusions start with "*/"?

Code:
*/.wysiwygPro_*
*/core.[0-9]
In the example I posted I did not specify that, does that make a difference?

-Michael

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Yes it makes a difference. From the docs:
The /etc/cpbackup-exclude.conf file exclude files with a filespec relative to anywhere that the backup script functions. To exclude files or directories from your backups for all user accounts, add those files or directories to the /etc/cpbackup-exclude.conf file.

The backup system excludes the following files and directories for all users' backups by default:

Add the items you asked about to the file on the specific account:
Code:
*.mp3
*.tar.gz
*.zip
Next, assuming you have .mp3's on the account, take a backup. Download it and check it for .mp3's.

mvandemar

Jun 17, 2006
Next, assuming you have .mp3's on the account, take a backup. Download it and check it for .mp3's.
The issue is that the account is over 100GB, the backup process is dying before completing, and we're winding up with a 0 byte backup. Those files are taking up ~70Gb of the space, so I was hoping that excluding them would allow the backup to complete, but either the pattern isn't working, or it's still not enough trimmed off.

I will create a smaller test cpanel with those exclusions and see if it works on there. Thanks.

-Michael

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
The issue is that the account is over 100GB, the backup process is dying before completing, and we're winding up with a 0 byte backup. Those files are taking up ~70Gb of the space, so I was hoping that excluding them would allow the backup to complete, but either the pattern isn't working, or it's still not enough trimmed off.
Hello @mvandemar,

The "*" character represents a wildcard. For instance, let's say you add:

Code:
*.mp3
This will exclude any file that ends with ".mp3". I added this line to /etc/cpbackup-exclude.conf on a test system and confirmed that a file named "123.mp3" in the "/home/$username/public_html" directory was excluded from the backup generation.

Thank you.